Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Applied for firearm permit today

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011 | 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I like PA just the way it is. Pay your $20 and you can carry a handgun concealed. All you need to do is pass the background check and you get your permit in 3days. It's good for 5yrs.

If you want to buy a rifle from a store, you get an instant background check on federal regs.... but if you if you wanna buy from your neighbor you just need to be 18. We don't track stuff. I can walk down the street and buy an AR15 with cash from anybody.... legally. (as long as I'm allowed to own. The seller is not responsible)
Just the way it should be, imo.
You must not live anywhere near Philly

Old 06-21-2011 | 11:30 PM

I got my concealed carry permit a while back and it is def the way to go if you want the opportunity to protect yourself or plan on purchasing collector firearms. Ended up costing $100 for the class and $90 for background check and processing. I do carry and encourage anyone else that is competent, rational, and law abiding to consider doing the same. Im all for background checks and trying to keep guns out of criminal's hands but in all honesty, a criminal isnt going to follow any gun laws. They end up limiting the law abiding citizen that wishes to protect himself and his family.

Old 06-21-2011 | 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by MeanGreenZ71
I got my concealed carry permit a while back and it is def the way to go if you want the opportunity to protect yourself or plan on purchasing collector firearms. Ended up costing $100 for the class and $90 for background check and processing. I do carry and encourage anyone else that is competent, rational, and law abiding to consider doing the same. Im all for background checks and trying to keep guns out of criminal's hands but in all honesty, a criminal isnt going to follow any gun laws. They end up limiting the law abiding citizen that wishes to protect himself and his family.
well said I have my eyes on a new revolver for ccw the bad guys have guns and dont follow any laws but im all about self defense so ill do it the legal way.

Old 06-21-2011 | 11:38 PM

I agree about the criminal thing. But honestly, people end up shooting themselves or kids/family members more often than they get shot by bad guys. IMHO this could be greatly reduced by the requirement of a good safety course and training.

FYI:

Concealed carry on its way to Wisconsin

Old 06-21-2011 | 11:51 PM
|
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by F34Me?
But honestly, people end up shooting themselves or kids/family members
That is what I am afraid of, if I get a rifle, and keep it at home, knowing me, I will start to play with it and stuff.

Old 06-22-2011 | 01:51 AM

Wow, so it's so easy over there...

I was interested in shooting firearms etc. a couple years back but it's a complete biatch to actually get in.

Old 06-22-2011 | 06:39 AM

i bought my 9mm pistol a few years back and I walked out with a gun within the hour. No waiting period at all. They did the background check there on the spot and that was it.

Old 06-22-2011 | 09:03 AM

But honestly, people end up shooting themselves or kids/family members more often than they get shot by bad guys.

Do you have facts to back up this "claim"? Not trying to be an a**hole here, but this kind of BS is the reason why people are afraid of guns. I have a few guns in my house, and my wife, or daughter have never been shot. Nor myself. I have had guns for over 5 years now. So either mine are defective, or
people end up shooting themselves or kids/family members more often
is a bad statement to make. It gives people the wrong idea.

Yum, get a firearm, learn how to use it, practice firearm safety, and live happily with your firearm. "It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it".

Old 06-22-2011 | 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
Do you have facts to back up this "claim"? Not trying to be an a**hole here, but this kind of BS is the reason why people are afraid of guns. I have a few guns in my house, and my wife, or daughter have never been shot. Nor myself. I have had guns for over 5 years now. So either mine are defective, or is a bad statement to make. It gives people the wrong idea.

Yum, get a firearm, learn how to use it, practice firearm safety, and live happily with your firearm. "It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it".
I'll second this as well. I grew up in a house that always had guns in it (locked in a gunsafe) And I have owned guns since I was a kid and still have about 10 guns. (in a gunsafe, except for the 9mm) No problems, You just have to be smart with them. Its usually a few dumbasses that put a bad name on them for all the responsible people.

Edit: If you feel the need to keep it locked up but want it closeby for security reasons, there are some good safes out there for this. These happen to be for handguns. The fingerprint scanner one is badass. I'd love to be able to afford it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GunVault-G...Vault/15939708

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GunVault-M...-Vault/4861130

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester...-Safe/14894368

Last edited by pittsm; 06-22-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2011 | 02:56 PM

I agree about the criminal thing. But honestly, people end up shooting themselves or kids/family members more often than they get shot by bad guys. IMHO this could be greatly reduced by the requirement of a good safety course and training.

FYI:

Concealed carry on its way to Wisconsin

I dont know how much validity your claim has but yes im sure that does happen to some degree. Im all for having to take a class on the legal issues as well as a training course on safe firearm handling. Both are required in NC to obtain a concealed carry permit. I totally agree with requiring them. I just hate to see gun laws that do nothing to protect law abiding citizens and actually make them more vulnerable to attack (no carry in a restaurant where alcohol is served even if you are not drinking, no carry in a bank, no carry in a hospital, and also in NC: No carry in a funeral procession since that makes so much sense).

Quick Reply: Applied for firearm permit today