Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anyone reload ammo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone reload ammo?

Ive recently began thinking about maybe reloading my own cases. I go to the range about once every month or 2 but i shoot about 250 rounds everytime. So i figure spending 110 every month or so gets pretty expensive. Plus if im reloading my own i can shoot more and also help load for friends and family.

From what ive read it seems like an easy process once you have all the equipment. Im just looking to see if anyone out there can share their experience?

The types i would like to reload are 9mm, .40, .45 and possibly some .243 or .270.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've reloaded off and on, mostly 9mm but also have done a smattering of .45 .40, .38 and .357mag. I've never bothered to buy equipment for reloading, but if you make friends at the local range someone normally will let you use their stuff if you toss them a box of handloads.

Reloading was a cheaper than buying boxed ammo, but at least in the beginning the stuff I was producing was junk, it probably took 300-400 rounds before I got it down.

If you're shooting 3,000+ rounds a year you'd make the cost of equipment up really quickly. Plus, once you get the basics down you can tailor rounds to plinking, targets, carry, ect. That's the one thing I miss about my handloads, I had a couple boxes of 9mm for carry that fired better than any boxed defense ammo i've ever bought.

If you're looking for another hobby, go for it.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go progressive. Single stage is a cheap entry, but you'll regret it.

Startsaving your brass instead of selling it. KEEP it sorted!
Start with records right at the beginning. Always inspect your cases
for hairlines and thinning. If you keep the brass boxed, you can write
#times fired and load data. I keep the first few target groups, labeled for load,
Makes for a very quick reference.

Get at least TWO different manufacture loading manuals. Cross-reference before
you try any new load. Printing errors HAVE been known to happen. At least,
throw it/check it out on a loader's forum to verify safety/quality of the load.

Don't forget a grounding strap to your table, either.

It's a great way to lower your shooting costs. Just be meticulous in your
attitude/aproach. Always way your first 2-3 throws to verify correct powder weight, THEN start churnning them out.

Ern

Old 08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save money? Depends on how you look at it. You'll save more money per round, but you'll end up shooting more. Nonetheless, if you crunch the numbers you'll be able to come up with a good way to justify spending all that money to the wife. "I'm not spending money honey, I'm s a v i n g money." lol.

Personally, I don't do it for monetary reasons but end up saving money in the long run anyways. The main reason I reload is because I love pretty much everything that has to do with firearms. Not to get all sappy and phylosophical or whatever, but when you reload your own ammo, it enhances and completes the whole experience, lifestyle. Just think about it. In between cleaning and pulling the trigger, you could be messing around with smokeless propelants, live primers, and lead projectiles! What else could a man ask for? Once you start rolling your own, you won't want to shoot factory ammo again ... unless your gun blows up in your face! Muahahah

Here's two of my favorite reloading forums: The Firing Line and Shooter's Forum. This topic comes up in these almost daily.