Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Anybody use Linux?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use Linux?

Just thought I'd check in on the nerd quotient of the forum here and see if anybody is running linux.

I use Ubuntu. I just upgraded to 7.10 two days ago. It was officially released today, but I used my madd sudo update-manager -d skillz to get it early.
I've been using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog and I think its one of the most polished distros out there. The way it handles restricted drivers, package management and dependencies is top shelf.

What distro do you use and why? favorite apps? Maybe whats keeping you from fully switching?

I use OpenOffice, Rhythmbox, aMSN, and Nexiuz the most. I currently dual boot with windows XP, which hasn't always been the case. I find the only reason I still have XP is because my dial up "winmodem" doesn't work in Ubuntu.

I suppose if there isn't much of a linux following this thread will just die, but I was hoping to start some kind of dialog about alternative operating systems, if you have any thoughts or comments on the subject post up!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anybody use Linux?

I use FreeBSD. its not for all these wannabe *nix users lol. I heard good things sbout ubuntu, but if I went to use a *nix distro I would go with gentoo.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 AM

why did you pick FreeBSD? And what draws you toward Gentoo? I can't say as though I know a whole lot about either, aside from all the Gentoo compiling jokes.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:08 AM

I've played with redhat, suse, puppy, yellow dog, fedora, gentoo, and now ubuntu.

Redhat was my first experience with a linux distro, it was cool back in the day, forget what release it was.

Puppy is sick because you can boot and work off a friggin flash drive.

I used gentoo for a solid 2 years or so. Built all sorts of machines with different configs of gentoo on it. Really powerful distro with a great community, but just too many damn compiling issues like you said.

Ubuntu is for sure the most polished of the distros and in my opinion has a legitimate chance at taking a nice chunk of O/S market share from you know who. That is if it's marketed well and people really come to find how powerful this stuff is. People are just so stubborn and refuse to learn something new.

I built my 13 year old brother a ubuntu desktop so he uses that pretty much all the time, which i think will be good for him.

I use ubuntu almost all the time when I'm not in the office. Everything in the office is MS.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: elmer

why did you pick FreeBSD? And what draws you toward Gentoo? I can't say as though I know a whole lot about either, aside from all the Gentoo compiling jokes.
FreeBSD was made to be a server OS, is one of the best for that application. Its further up the food chain than any *nix and many of the *nix distro's mimic or emulate characteristics of BSD. Thats one reason I like Gentoo. As a desktop OS I loved it. Any when I ran it it didnt have no GUI install lol. It was all commandline and made me learn. Thats the biggest reason I loved it. My GF and I got a dedicated server and it ran Gentoo. It didnt fair to wellin that role at theat tyme. PCBSD is a nice desktop distro and has the power of FreeBSD under its hood. Mention of a booting n running *nix off a flshdrive, I had one set up with a dual boot of slax and Barts PE both with extras added for ummm, security work lol. Also have a flash drive n a cd that allows me to reset any and all windows passwords.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Mad

+1 on FreeBSD. I've been running it for about 10 years. It rocks! I have 2 ultra80's and an old 750running BSD at home. I did a middle east tour and left them alone for a year. No problems! Theykept my family connected while I was gone. Come to thinkof it I haven't given them any love in 3 months. I better clean them up tonight. I've got another tour coming up.

I run ubuntu on my laptop from time to time. I likedit but I always find myself going back toFreeBSD on all systems.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM

can somebody explain the fundamental differences between a linux distro and a BSD distro?

Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 AM

I use Ubuntu on my desktop, and Xebian on my xboxes.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: elmer

can somebody explain the fundamental differences between a linux distro and a BSD distro?
Why BSD superior to linux
http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcone/bsdversuslinux.html

lol but seriously http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/19558.html read that.