Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another tragedy... drunk drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tragedy... drunk drivers

Here's something that happened real close to whereI live and ride very often. My friend and I were driving in his car when we saw a woman riding a cruiser, and we turned our heads because not very often do we see women riding bikes, we could also tell because she had no helmet on. We saw her on a street that's pretty close to the place where this happened. We never confirmed if this was the same woman because on the news all they said was that she was riding a 2007 honda. But she definitely looks the age. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/loc...-5897245c.html

We never hear enough about how careful we have to be from other drivers, us as motorcyclists are in so much more risk. Please, everyone be careful out there. It's heartbreaking to hear about a fellow biker losing his/her life, especially because we all think about it, or visualize it somehow to avoid it, at least I know I do. It pisses me off to see people riding their bikes with their helmet strapped on to the passanger seat. Be safe everyone, ALWAYS wear your helmets.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Default RE: Another tragedy... drunk drivers

Name:  eek7.gif
Views: 9
Size:  1.6 KB $16,798 bond-that's it!!!! Name:  angry.gif
Views: 11
Size:  179 Bytes

Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM

This really pisses me off. The son of bitch was driving drunk with his kids in the car and he kills a biker and his bail is set at only $16000. I can only pray they take this scum of the earth and place him jail for the rest of his life.

[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 PM

a guy i work with rides a Harley, and i've asked him why he never wears protective gear. his response is that the "cruiser lifestyle" promotes more of a safe riding style than sportbikes. so i asked him what happens when he's cruising along at the speed limit and a drunk (or just careless) driver runs into him? you can ride as safe as you want, but i guess sometimes those cruiser guys (and gals) fail to realize that riding safely is only half of the equation. i hate hearing stories like this, but it leaves me wondering how many of these deaths could be avoided if only people weren't so worried about looking "cool". i can't stand it when i see some kid on a Gixxer (lots of them around here) with the helmet strapped to the back seat. what the hell is the helmet for if they're not going to wear it? i guess it will protect the back seat in case of an accident.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: rmr1923

a guy i work with rides a Harley, and i've asked him why he never wears protective gear. his response is that the "cruiser lifestyle" promotes more of a safe riding style than sportbikes. so i asked him what happens when he's cruising along at the speed limit and a drunk (or just careless) driver runs into him? you can ride as safe as you want, but i guess sometimes those cruiser guys (and gals) fail to realize that riding safely is only half of the equation. i hate hearing stories like this, but it leaves me wondering how many of these deaths could be avoided if only people weren't so worried about looking "cool". i can't stand it when i see some kid on a Gixxer (lots of them around here) with the helmet strapped to the back seat. what the hell is the helmet for if they're not going to wear it? i guess it will protect the back seat in case of an accident.
+1 Cruiser riders are usually, but not always, the dumbest riders you'll ever see. Stupid half shell helmet - non DOT or Snell approved, no jacket, gloves boots or anything. All about "the lifestyle". If I rode a wing, HD, Star, VTX, whatever, I'd still wear full gear all the time.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 AM

I have to agree 100% on the cruiser riders. Just the other day I saw a guy on a Goldwing, that was wearing shorts and tennis shoes- thats it! I passed him and all I could do is shake my head in disbelief.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: troyg3

I have to agree 100% on the cruiser riders. Just the other day I saw a guy on a Goldwing, that was wearing shorts and tennis shoes- thats it! I passed him and all I could do is shake my head in disbelief.
we've got plenty of those around here. i saw an older man out on a Goldwing one day wearing sandals, bermuda shorts, and a hawaiian print button down shirt. and they look at US like we're irresponsible? sure he's probably seen his fair share of dumbasses on sportbikes, but i hate it that people assume that if one guy on a sportbike is irresponsible, then we ALL are (i can't remember what this fallacy is called but i know we talked about it in a business class once)

Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

It's a sad story, I feel for her families loss.

At the same time, I can't help but to point out that no amount of gear in the world is gonna save your *** if you're hit by a vehicle. A helmet is the only thing you can buy that might save your life.

All that other stuff prevents road rash, which is not deadly. I don't make judgements on those Harley guys because they're not out there in a Joe Rocket jacket/pants/gloves combo. Wounds heal and chicks dig scars. That's a fact.

I'm not saying to not wear your gear, hey, if you've got it and it makes ya feel warm and fuzzy inside to wear it, go for it. It will probably help, but it's not going to save your life... just so we're on the same page. I'm gonna be one of the few honest ones here and go ahead and admit that the only gear I wear is helmet, gloves and boots. They're not even riding specific boots. I always wear jeans because I hate shorts.I will however wear my mesh jacket if I'm riding the highway.

That is all.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 AM

I love my bike and hate idiots!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:44 PM

Update on this jackass' bond...

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/loc...-5899555c.html

Quick Reply: Another tragedy... drunk drivers