Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

another high school shooting

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another high school shooting

ORIGINAL: Icyalkn

Remember back in the day when moral's were taught, and expected, Or discipline didn't include taking away the kids brand new M3. You have to wonder why some kids are having trouble dealing with it now a days, with such a broad spectrum and the importance put on material things this society has created. Not to make an excuse, but seriously, I remember have cop's roll up on me and my friends when we were like 14, behind a conveinance store late at night. We were just loitering nothing serious, staying out late skateboarding.. such rebels. Any way, I remeber say to the cop, before you call my parent's you better get me behind bars, or your going to witness how a man's size 11 boot, can fit in the *** of a 14 year old. Not to say I was "abused", and I'm terribly sorry for those that legitimatly were, but I will say there was an understanding between my sister and me and our parents.

Hmmm oh right the word is consequences, and the phrase "taking responsibilityfor your actions"

How about the fact that when we grew up generally speaking both parents didn't have to work FULL time, just to make ends meet. Meaning there was always a primary care giver around to enstill good values and such, no kids are pretty much raising themselves.

I dunno, maybe i should change my sign on name to IMO, because it's apparent i always have one
Pretty much spot on.

How could this happen though...I thought schools were gun free zones, just like a campus or a government building, and we all know gun free means thats it's safe right? I think we need new gun control laws! I mean , c'mon, look at all the gun free places like D.C, NY City, Chicago ect.....safe right? Now go look up some of the cities with the highest gun ownership and tell me the difference.................

Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 PM

These shooting r getting out of hand, too many inmature people with access to guns. I personally am a gun owner and enjoy shooting at ranges and hunting but i also lost two goodfriends in the va tech shootingone of whom i had known since 5th grade. Like i said tho it is an example of inmature people who don't knw how to handle a situation and always use their last resort which is violence.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:50 PM

ya i go to ohio tech which was like 2 miles from this schooting...

Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just waiting for Jack Thompson to pop up his ugly head and start spouting how the Video Game industry is polluting the minds of our youths.

Has nothing to do with the fact that parents can't discipline thier children in the traditional sense because the word "abuse" will start being tossed around. All a child has to do is say someone is abusing them and the whole family structure crumbles because it is the most horrible thing in the world. Now it's all about positive reinforcement (which I believe in...but sometimes you need a firm hand too)....and heck if they are crying why not give them then brand new M3 to boot. I really think we see a lot of degredation in the sense that parents say...I'm not going to raise my children like my parents did...or we could blame it on the fact (as pointed out previously) that couples are either buying a lot more than they can afford AND got used to living a certain life style AND are so incredible in debt that they need 3 jobs to pay the bills. Remember how the parents of the depression era brought up their kids? Conservation. Make every nickle count. Because that is all they got paid. But now it's Credit, spend, credit spend, bankrupt. oh heck, since I'm blaming everything else...maybe I should lay the full blame on Helen Keller.

I'm sure the parents have someone else to blame. I personally think it is best to have one parent with the children until a certain age. I don't care if it's the father or mother. It's better for the child. Oh well...there's my tired ramblings about nothing.

Oh well...I don't think I really had a point, so this post is pretty much useless.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Daywalk3r187

These shooting r getting out of hand, too many inmature people with access to guns. I personally am a gun owner and enjoy shooting at ranges and hunting but i also lost two goodfriends in the va tech shootingone of whom i had known since 5th grade. Like i said tho it is an example of inmature people who don't knw how to handle a situation and always use their last resort which is violence.
When I read this and looked at your screenname, I didn't know what to think, but I felt the need to respond.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM

they sad part is we as parents send are children to these schools day in and day out and expect that the teachers are keeping them safe. but the truth is that when each teacher is responsible for 20-30 kids its hard for them to make sure everyone is doing as they should be. they try to blame what the kids do on what music they listen to of what shows they watch when they should look to the parents that raise the kids to see what kind of enviroment the kids grew up in. Im not sayin its always the parent falt either but there are things that we as parents can do to try and help prevent things like these. talk to our kids to see what is goin on with them, in school and out of school and if you have a gun in the house please put a lock on it or put it in a gun cabinet where the kids cant get to it. they have to be getting the guns from somewhere to do these types of things and i would think that most of the times they are coming right out of there own house. just my .02

Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Icyalkn

Remember back in the day when moral's were taught, and expected, Or discipline didn't include taking away the kids brand new M3. You have to wonder why some kids are having trouble dealing with it now a days, with such a broad spectrum and the importance put on material things this society has created. Not to make an excuse, but seriously, I remember have cop's roll up on me and my friends when we were like 14, behind a conveinance store late at night. We were just loitering nothing serious, staying out late skateboarding.. such rebels. Any way, I remeber say to the cop, before you call my parent's you better get me behind bars, or your going to witness how a man's size 11 boot, can fit in the *** of a 14 year old. Not to say I was "abused", and I'm terribly sorry for those that legitimatly were, but I will say there was an understanding between my sister and me and our parents.

Hmmm oh right the word is consequences, and the phrase "taking responsibilityfor your actions"

How about the fact that when we grew up generally speaking both parents didn't have to work FULL time, just to make ends meet. Meaning there was always a primary care giver around to enstill good values and such, no kids are pretty much raising themselves.

I dunno, maybe i should change my sign on name to IMO, because it's apparent i always have one
Good points.

Look where coddling and lack of strong parenting is getting us as a society. Kids finally hear the word "no" and don't get their way and we're seeing the results more and more.

[sm=rant.gif]

OK, I need a time out...

Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok....I know this is going to sound geek......

So I was watching the Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVDs (TV not movie) a few months ago. I missed the series when it was out because of the hours I used to work...but I digress...

There was this one episode where one student was threatening mass murder at the school. This episode was supposed to air the week after Columbine, but they delayed it's release for obvious reasons. The thing that struck me was what was said at the end.

[blockquote]Buffy: I don't. I don't think about you much at all. Nobody here really does. Bugs you, doesn't it. You have all this pain, and all these feelings and nobody's really paying attention.

Jonathan: You think I just want attention?

Buffy: No. I think you're up in the clock tower with a high-powered rifle because you wanna blend in. Believe it or not, Jonathan, I understand about the pain.

Jonathan: Oh right. Cause the burden of being beautiful and athletic, that's a crippler.

Buffy: You know what? I was wrong. You are an idiot. My life happens to, on occasion, suck beyond the telling of it. Sometimes more than I can handle. And it's not just mine. Every single person down there is ignoring your pain because they're too busy with their own.

[/blockquote]
Anyway. Now that I just proved that I'm a geek, you can all banish me.[&o]

EDIT:
I was looking up quotes from the episode, here is another quote(keep in mind this was done filming before Columbine):
[blockquote]Xander: I'm still having trouble with the fact that one of us is just going to gun everybody down for no reason.
Cordelia: Yeah, because THAT never happens in American high schools.
Oz: It's bordering on trendy at this point.
[/blockquote]

Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 AM

That happend about 10 miles away from my work.When I was a kid I would have never got a gun and shot someone that was picking on my or hit me-I would just beat there *** or mess with them in some way. Kids today are just crazy as hell and don't care about anything-it's like it 's cool to be bad and not be respectful.

It always seems Ohio gets one the new by someone killing or shooting some one.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Retired Moderator

There was a time when you would meet afterschool behind the bike racks, and one or both kidswould get bloodied, but they would both go home. Then it was over. What ever happened to a good old fashioned *** whooping? I think I've said this before, but all of this happens one tiny step at a time. At each almost unnoticeable step, we look back and say, "Oh, I guess that is alright."
Next thing you know, we have kids able to learn how to make pipe bombs online, and going to their schools and shooting people. One small step at a time...

Quick Reply: another high school shooting