Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Another Accident - Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Accident - Update

This was this past Thursday:
This time in the car, a 2001 GT Mustang. Driving along and slowing for a red light, there was a line of 20-30 cars waiting to turn left. They were stopped at the light too. As I'm about 50 yards from the red light, one of the cars turning left, a pick up truck, let this guy in so he can turn into the gas station (instead of going down the road and turning around or going to the other entrance). So, I'm coming up the road and I T-Boned him and pushed him about 30 feet. My speed was about 25-30 mph, since I was already slowing for the red light. My car: Air bags went off, Anti-Lock brakes kicked in and the front got whacked. His car: 2003 Ford Focus, entire passenger side hosed and his front wheel basically folded.
Now, we left our cars exactly where they ended up. Not a single person stopped to be a witness, or ask if we were ok and the boner that waved him in took off too. ****ing people these days. A nice cop showed up after we called and did a report and gave us both a copy. The guy that I hit, who pulled in front of me, was found at fault for the accident and was also cited a ticket for "Failure To Yield".

Now, here's where I need help. My airbags went off, but I didn't hit it because since I'm taller, the seat was all the way back. The seat belt did all of the work. Now, I've had off and on headaches ever since and my neck hurts. I have a Doctor's appointment for this coming Wednesday (couldn't get in any sooner) but wondering if I should go in elsewhere first before hand? Also, I have State Farm, and this guy has AARP (he's older). I've been in contact with my insurance already and have a claim going, and the car's in the body shop at the dealer. His insurance company had called me on Friday, but I wasn't around to talk to them. My insurance already knows that I have neck problems. What does his insurance want? I think I should wait to call them back until I've talked to my insurance company again or maybe even a lawyer. I don't know, never had any experience with this sort of thing. What would you guys do?

On a side note, I got a 2006 Cadillac CTS as a rental and it's tasty!

Here's a pic I drew of what happened:

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/A497472368CD4004AF473FFF7C4C880F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Default RE: Another Accident - Info Needed!

Damn Darell... you got some bad karma going. Sorry to hear about another accicdent.

Anyway, almost the exact same thing happened to me. I was driving my Explorer and this lady cuts through a line of people turning left to get into a gas station. Only difference was, she hit me instead of me hitting her. She knocked me into the gas station and almost into a gas pump.

As far as what her insurance wants, they just probably want to hear your version of things. Tell them what happened and tell them how you're feeling. Should be a standard call. Now, it might get nasty later, and don't agree to any kind of settlement until you've seen the doc, then go from there.

I got rear ended going only about 5mph one time and felt like I got hit in the back of the neck with a baseball bat. I had headaches for about a week. I couldn't believe it, from just a 5mph impact. But mine went away and no other problems.

My advice would be to take it slow and make sure you know if your headaches are going away and the extent of your injuries, if any.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:09 PM

Do not sign anything from the insurance company until you have gone through all the motions of going to the doctor and all of that stuff. The other guys insurance company will probably come after you to sign some kind of quick settlement. Just weigh your options and dont rush anything.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:54 PM

make sure you have the info on his ticket incase he pleads not guilty.If he goes to court and you don't his ticket will be dropped and gl on getting anything from his insurance then.I had this prob when I t-boned a semi who ran a stop sign.Call the police officer who did your report .He will have the info you need

Old 12-10-2006, 05:48 PM

Damn man, your not having very good luck now are you?

Sorry to hear about your car, glad your ok...again...lol

Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM

Call a lawyer, should be able to give you a little advise on what to do over the phone for free.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:11 AM

Yeah, thanks everyone. It's been a sucky past few months. A buddy of mine now calls me crash. On the plus side, I'm getting pretty good at crashing anything with wheels. One more and I should be an expert.
See, if I didn't have any injury, I wouldn't think anything of it...just let my insurance company go after his for repair cost and rental fees and be back to normal when the car gets fixed. But, since I do have neck injury and headaches, I'm not sure if it'll be lasting from this or not. I think that's why his insurance called me, since I already contacted state farm (mine) and told them about possible injury. Maybe his insurance is starting to sweat or something.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:42 AM

i would talk to a lawyer first thing and see if the doc will refer you to a chiropractor(sorry if thats spelled wrong) to see if anything is out of wack. thats what they do. i wouldnt talk to the other insurance co. until i see a lawyer though. just in case they try to be slick or something.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 AM

ive had a lot of experience with this. take your claim number from your insurance company and go to the er. they will check you out run x-rays and the whole 10 yards at least they should. you should do that after any accident. even if you dont feal bad your nerves will hide problems untlill some time later.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:19 PM

I wouldn't talk on the phone to em at all. They record those conversations, and the only reason they are calling you at all is to try n find s/thing they can use against you. The police report gives them all the info they need to proceed w/the claim. Let your insurance co deal w/them. No need to spend the extra $$ on a lawyer cuz he's gonna tell you to keep quiet.

Quick Reply: Another Accident - Update