Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

"Anonymous"

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Anonymous"

Here's the transcript of the latest Occupy Wall Street video from Anonymous:
Greetings, institutions of the media.
We are Anonymous.
The events transpiring within Wall Street have caught our eye.
It seems that the government and federal agencies enjoy enforcing the law a little bit too much. They instate unjust laws as mindless automatons, blindly following orders with soulless precision.
We witness the government enforcing the laws that punish the 99 percent while allowing the 1 percent to escape justice, unharmed, for their crimes against the people.
We have observed this same government failing to enforce even the minimal legal restraints of Wall Street's abuses. This government who has willingly ignored the greed at Wall Street has even bailed out the perpetrators that have caused our crisis.
We will not stand by and watch the system take over our way of life.
We the people shall stand against the government's inaction.
We the people will not be witnesses to your corruption and ill-gotten profits.
We will not labor for your leisure.
We will not assist you in any way.
This is why we choose to declare our war against the New York Stock Exchange. We can no longer stay silent as the population is being exploited and forced to make sacrifices in the name of profit.
We will show the world that we are true to our word. On Oct. 10, NYSE shall be erased from the Internet. On Oct. 10, expect a day that will never, ever be forgotten.
Vox Populi, Vox Anon.
The Voice of The People is The Voice of Anonymous.
We are Legion. We are the 99 percent.
We do not forgive. We do not forget.
Wall Street: Expect us.
Anonymous Threatens to 'Erase NYSE from the Internet' | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Ah sheet...

Last edited by amRRussel; 10-04-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*Like*

Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 PM

I'd be surprised to see it happen, and even if it does, it'll be back up within hours. If this was twenty years ago, I'd expect it to make a big change, but with all the security and backups that are done on a regular basis on servers, it won't be that big of an impact.

Plus they just warned what day it's going to happen, so if nothing else, they'll be beefing up their security for the next month and backing up hourly.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dveldtf4i
I'd be surprised to see it happen, and even if it does, it'll be back up within hours. If this was twenty years ago, I'd expect it to make a big change, but with all the security and backups that are done on a regular basis on servers, it won't be that big of an impact.

Plus they just warned what day it's going to happen, so if nothing else, they'll be beefing up their security for the next month and backing up hourly.
Well, it's set for Monday.

But even if they do beef up security (and I imagine you're right that the will) the best I can say is: Good Luck. If it's just a DDoS of the main site, I'm sure the site will be back before too long, but it still sends a message.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
but it still sends a message.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
Well, it's set for Monday.

But even if they do beef up security (and I imagine you're right that the will) the best I can say is: Good Luck. If it's just a DDoS of the main site, I'm sure the site will be back before too long, but it still sends a message.
True enough. DDoS's are a pain, and in large enough quantities could shut it down for an entire day.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 PM

This is exciting

Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hum... Why didn't they pick an easier target? Like the White House or the NSA?

Doubt they can even slow down the traffic to the actual NYSE. And taking down E-Trade or NYSE, New York Stock Exchange don't count.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 PM

rofl if they can take down the stock exchange...I will give them mad props. cuz i feel like with their resources, it is currently impossible to erase the NYSE from the internet.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Relax, it was a fake message.

Here's the full text of the message disputing the legitimacy of the NYSE attack and the Invade Wall Street operation:

Citizens of the world,

We are Anonymous! Recently something very disturbing has come to our attention. You must take all notices and information claiming to be 'Anonymous' with a grain of salt. Consider EVERYTHING.

Operation Invade Wall Street is bulls***! It is a fake planted operation by law enforcement and cyber crime agencies in order to get you to undermine the Occupy Wall Street movement. It proposes you use depreciated tools that have known flaws such as LOIC.

Anonymous would never tell you to use LOIC—not after the arrests and failures of Operation Payback.

Anonymous wouldn't attack NYSE on a HOLIDAY—it is debatable if Anonymous would ever even attack NYSE.

Be wary friends!

We are Anonymous

We are Legion

We do not Forgive

We do not Forget

Expect Us

Be wary of imitations!
Is the Anonymous Threat to 'Erase' the NYSE Legit?

Quick Reply: "Anonymous"