Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Advice on staying awake.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Advice on staying awake.

Anybody remember this thread shoot me a message when you get to the 105 hr mark lol
https://cbrforum.com/m_516922/tm.htm

Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 AM

Hc not everyone has had the privlidge of gettting as much training as you or is subjected tpo sleep dep on a semi regular basis...anyways my advice is redlines they dont have a bad come down but they can drive you crazy, if you have to be physical i wouldnt reccomend them because your heart rate gets fairly out rageous. and second my personal favorite dip. chewing tobacco not red man and the like im talking can, skoal cope grizzely etc. that **** isa instant away..4days w/ 0 sleep and have to sit quietly in the middle of the night observing its hard to stay awake..dip peps me right up

Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 AM

Your best bet would be to buy some ephedrine pills.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:36 AM

when you start to fade, do some juping jacks or run in place, get your heart rate up and some blood flowing.. temporary fix, but it works

Old 08-16-2008, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: oakasrtheshiz

Hc not everyone has had the privlidge of gettting as much training as you or is subjected tpo sleep dep on a semi regular basis...anyways my advice is redlines they dont have a bad come down but they can drive you crazy, if you have to be physical i wouldnt reccomend them because your heart rate gets fairly out rageous. and second my personal favorite dip. chewing tobacco not red man and the like im talking can, skoal cope grizzely etc. that **** isa instant away..4days w/ 0 sleep and have to sit quietly in the middle of the night observing its hard to stay awake..dip peps me right up
God I miss dipping... sadly they stopped selling it when I was in Africa and I needed my fix so I ended up picking up smoking... the nicotine in dip has never been the same.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: oakasrtheshiz

I would say 0321 your following right in my boot steps. I would like to mentor you on the use of that tobacco though LOL
CHECK YOU INBOX

BTW
0321 and MC enjoyer sidebar chat. I'm hitting the rack. Will be back on the quarter deck at 0530 will check on you at O600 after my morning run

Old 08-16-2008, 01:14 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due to my severe insomnia I've been studying sleeping habits for many years. Anyone ever watch that show they had on Discovery not too long ago where they did an in-depth scientific study in lab and real world environments using people of all types; different age ranges, body types, etc.. and had them sleep different amounts? They basically came to the conclusion that depending on age your body requires a minimum of 6 hours and optimally 8 hours and no tricks or pills will overcome this - it's like trying to figure out a way to get your body to work without oxygen it needs sleep as much as it needs water and air. Only when the main neural systems are put into an semi-conscious state (sleep) can it fully repair itself. Sure you can push your body to go without sleep but you pay for it with your health .. whether that's next week or 10 years from now or whether that's psychological or physical or a combination does not have as concrete an answer as of yet but they're reaching near the end of a 10 year study and should have those answers soon as well.

Even if you find something it will only have a temporary effect as sleep is cumulative. In other words if your body normally requires 6 hours to function properly and you get 4, you can't sleep 6 the next night and be back to normal - you will need six + an additional 2 for the ones you missed.

They found that some (especially younger people) mistakingly think they are functioning fine but through many tests they found that they are no where near normal. They where having those "quick" sleeps more often throughout the day .. you know like those where you're driving along and wonder what happened in the last 30 seconds ... and their performance, reflexes and reaction time where severely decreased from their normal responses.

Interestingly they also found that after a certain amount of sleep deprivation (forget the exact number but it was no where near what I thought it would be) the performance of someone passed the legal drunk limit was better than those that where sleep deprived.

None of the above helps you with staying awake but just know that even quick sleeps on breaks 10 minutes here and there whenever you can get'em in will do a world more good than any trick, pill/drug, energy drink, etc...

I'll try and find the link to their test results.

Sorry for the novel, I got a bit carried away .. must be due to lack of sleep [8D]

DISCLAIMER: I'm fairly certain the above study results only apply to normal mortals and not HC

Old 08-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

What about this: Five Hour Energy
+1. It taste's absolutely HORRID, but that damn stuff works great. I highly recommend it myself. Good choice there Doo.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Friend and Hero ...

YES KB I know I said I was hitting the rack. Your information is dead on the money, one of the reasons the Marine Corps basic training has a set lights out . Is so that recruits can get the proper amount of rest and sleep deprivation does build up over a period of time. OTHER study show that at some point the body says. Time to clear the slight and resets itself, but it does not relieve the feeling of fatigue. The ability to function without sleep is not something you wake up one morning and say. I'm staying up a whole week. It takes long-term conditioning, and when I hit the rack after a 50 hour plus day. I crash and burn you could almost fire 105 howitzer and get no response out of me. Unless my body perceive it as immediate threat but in all KB a great post.
BTW.
There is currently one drug Legal on the market that tricks the body into believing it does not need rest

now hit the rack

Old 08-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Retired Moderator

now hit the rack
But sir, if only that was possible My problem is not deprivation like jdschmidt but reverse body clock syndrome.

I've come to the same conclusion that doctors have been trying to tell me for a while .. there's a minor amount of people who's body clocks are reverse from the normal population and mine unfortunately happens to be one of them - the docs claim that it's rare but normal. Having tried every tip (diet, exercise, etc..) 5 AM to 12 PM seems to work optimally and nothing I do changes that. Not that I can't force myself to change the body clock but that is what it normally reverts to and feels awkward otherwise and feel out of sync the rest of the day. I am a vampire I guess.

Quick Reply: Advice on staying awake.