Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

ABS mandatory by 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013 | 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
because right now it prices a lot of people out of the market if you make it standard through regulation. let the companies decide how they want to do it. if someone like beemer wants to make all their models standard with ABS, good. but don't force every company to do it through regulations and laws. you've just made EVERY damn bike $1000 more....

i hate laws.... especially stupid ones....

i'm not against ABS, especially for the people that want it..... but don't force companies and people to have it that may not want it. doesn't the EU have bigger fish to fry than worrying about ABS on bikes by 2016?
If every bike has ABS, the price difference will drop because it won't be an option or add on. Also, a lot of the Hondas only have a $500 difference between ABS and non ABS models.

I don't think it should be a law, but it seems that it's the way the market is trending already. And in reality, it somewhat makes sense. Like I said, if you can turn it off it doesn't hurt you, does it?

Old 02-11-2013 | 03:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

no.... the price may drop as ABS components become cheaper - but that's a ways off. it costs more because ABS costs more. and it will ALWAYS cost more than non-ABS brake systems. they charge it as option right now because it's an add on - because the standard is non ABS (which is cheaper). but if you think making ABS mandatory (thus the optional charge goes away) just makes the costs of ABS disappear, you're wrong. and believe me, not one manufacturer will 'eat' those costs - you'll pay for it

i'm all fine with the markets trending that way. i encourage it. that's how we got disc brakes, fuel injection, traction control, etc in the first place. and that's a good thing. but the EU is making it mandatory.... and that will price people out of the market which i think is bad for motorcycling... people (like the advocates of the new bikes in the new vs old thread on cbrf) will have to delay getting into motorcycling because the avg price goes through the roof.

so cheap bikes (like the lil kawi's, hondas, hyosungs, etc.) will become - not so cheap.

do you want a new rider choosing between less gear/cheaper gear as opposed to having the option of maybe not springing for ABS on their first bike? that's an option now, but it won't be in a few years if they make it a "law".

i know ABS is "better" for street riding. but so is traction control, wheelie control, dual fuel injection, different power maps, and a bunch of other stuff that is optional. imagine if they made all of that stuff mandatory because it's "safer" and "better". it's all on the same line as making ABS mandatory...

like i said in that post, i'm all for manufacturers doing it on thier own. but forcing the market there through regulations and laws before the market is ready to go there on it's own is bad one group - the consumers....