Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

ABS mandatory by 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS mandatory by 2016?

THE EU*have voted in favour of mandatory ABS for new motorcycles over 125cc from 2016.Read more:*Motorcycle ABS compulsory from 2016 - Motorcycle news : General news - Visordown
Pretty sure manufacturers aren't going to build non-abs versions of their bikes for the U.S. market. In fact BMW has made ABS standard on all their models worldwide as of 2013, the U.S. market already being covered in 2012.

Big questions:
Will the U.S. follow?
How will riders react?

Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those that don't like it can find a way to disable it I guess.................
I think it's a great system for the road and will stop a lot of braking mistakes ending in tears.................
As for the track, well see option 1 above

And I think the US should follow suit.
I'm hearing also that no rider under the age of 22 will be able to go out and buy any bike bigger than 600cc in the EU.
That won't go down well with the wannabee racers in shorts and flipflops...................
but I think it's a good idea.

Funny, you can fly a Eurofighter at Mach 2.5 at any age over 16 but you won't be able to ride a big bike..............Imagine all our 18-21's in F16 supereagles EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK

Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 AM

From what I've seen most ppl yank the fuse for the ABS system to "disable" it. But someone posted a valid objection to ABS in another thread: it usually also means front and rear brakes are linked.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes it does - probably because it'd be useless to have abs on the front, with a back brake you can lock up ......................
All the Blackbirds came out with dbsc - linked brakes - years ago.
It's all to help the rider not make expensive and painful mistakes - BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU A BETTER RIDER IMHO.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its a good idea to implement mandetory ABS. I've never rode a bike with electronic nannies, but in the wet climate we have here, I'm sure it would be useful.
Originally Posted by Shadow
Funny, you can fly a Eurofighter at Mach 2.5 at any age over 16 but you won't be able to ride a big bike..............Imagine all our 18-21's in F16 supereagles EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKK
Haha yeah. However if all young riders had the training hours that went into getting solo seat time in one of those birds, well lets just say I'd be taking stock options in knee pucks :P

Oh and the other pilots won't pull out in front of you when they are on their cellphone either

Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Yes it does - probably because it'd be useless to have abs on the front, with a back brake you can lock up ......................
All the Blackbirds came out with dbsc - linked brakes - years ago.
It's all to help the rider not make expensive and painful mistakes - BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU A BETTER RIDER IMHO.
Strangely enough, the s1ks turn off ABS on the rear wheel in Slick mode. So you can lock the rear if you want. Also while the brakes are linked, the % amount they're linked decreases as the rider progresses thru the modes. Along with the ability to turn off ABS in any mode

Which has me thinking other manufacturers will at least start adding an ABS button. With the possibility of considering a "Track" mode in acknowledgement that bikes are going to head places where fully linked brakes isn't always desirable. If it becomes mandatory, especially in the U.S.

You mean expensive, painful mistakes like this?

Best guess he was riding in Race or Slick mode, which turns off rear lift detection

Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
You mean expensive, painful mistakes like this?

BMW S 1000RR. ABS ??? - YouTube

Best guess he was riding in Race or Slick mode, which turns off rear lift detection
Looks like that was 100% front brake and 0% rear. Silly mistake to be honest.

C-ABS is definitely the way forward IMO, I ride a CBR600RA and although I know how to brake correctly, for the most part I only use the front brake because I know the rear will be applied in the correct proportions when braking, I then only use the rear brake at slow speeds.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by FlamingDeath
Looks like that was 100% front brake and 0% rear. Silly mistake to be honest.

C-ABS is definitely the way forward IMO, I ride a CBR600RA and although I know how to brake correctly, for the most part I only use the front brake because I know the rear will be applied in the correct proportions when braking, I then only use the rear brake at slow speeds.
Brakes are "partially integral" so there was some rear brake.

One thing to note: ABS worked as designed. Doesn't look like the front ever locked and definitely put down maximum braking force. Just the Germans at BMW seem to believe in giving ppl everything they need to kill themselves if they choose to do it

Old 02-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The KTM Duke 690 I am looking at buying comes standard with ABS. There's a button under the passenger seat to turn it off, and the salesmen said the brakes weren't linked either. Not sure I believe that though. There's also a dial for changing your mode from aggressive, to econ, to regular engine mapping

I feel like as long as you can turn ABS off, why not? I'd like to have it in the rain just in case...

Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
I feel like as long as you can turn ABS off, why not? I'd like to have it in the rain just in case...
because right now it prices a lot of people out of the market if you make it standard through regulation. let the companies decide how they want to do it. if someone like beemer wants to make all their models standard with ABS, good. but don't force every company to do it through regulations and laws. you've just made EVERY damn bike $1000 more....

i hate laws.... especially stupid ones....

i'm not against ABS, especially for the people that want it..... but don't force companies and people to have it that may not want it. doesn't the EU have bigger fish to fry than worrying about ABS on bikes by 2016?

Quick Reply: ABS mandatory by 2016?