Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

$800 goverment check

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: $800 goverment check

News to me. I haven't been able to watch the news for the past week (working my *** off at the new job.)

I would probably throw that right back at some bills or start paying back student loans I've accumulated. (even though $800 is just a drop in the bucket with the amount I've pulled out. [:@])

Old 01-19-2008, 03:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

News to me. I haven't been able to watch the news for the past week (working my *** off at the new job.)

I would probably throw that right back at some bills or start paying back student loans I've accumulated. (even though $800 is just a drop in the bucket with the amount I've pulled out. [:@])
AMEN on the SL's lol

Old 01-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Retired Moderator

^^ Problem is I didn't really NEED them, but took them out so I wouldn't have to "tough it out" at all while going to school. Needless to say, I've been living rather lavishly for a college student, and it's now caught up and smacked me in the face.........then kicked me in the *****..........and then laughed at me rolling on the floor in pain.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The poor economy is the fault of former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan. He did the same thing over and over for 20 years, raised rates until the economy was in a recession, then lowered them to stimulate. Taxes are low enough, but high oil prices, high interest rates that screwed up variable mortgages, and the budget deficit have weakened the dollar, caused the American people to run out of money.

This running out of money creates a slowdown and maybe even a recession.

The new Chairman (Ben Bernanke (sp?)) inherited the last Greenspan mistake and really has tried to head it off, but the very HIGH oil prices are out of his control. Also out of his control is the housing issue, people are defaulting on their homes at extreemly high rates.

So $800 won't reallyhelp, it can't hurt though, what needs to happen is that the U.S. has to stop importing so much crap from China, reduce its oil usage, get out of Iraq,and not let people buy houses they can't afford.

Taxes really are lower than they had been in the past, but if you get a Democrat in they will go up tremendously and then the problem will be harder to beat.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

^^ Problem is I didn't really NEED them, but took them out so I wouldn't have to "tough it out" at all while going to school. Needless to say, I've been living rather lavishly for a college student, and it's now caught up and smacked me in the face.........then kicked me in the *****..........and then laughed at me rolling on the floor in pain.
How much are you students loans so I can guage the amount of pain my ball kicking is going to be.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

The poor economy is the fault of former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan. He did the same thing over and over for 20 years, raised rates until the economy was in a recession, then lowered them to stimulate. Taxes are low enough, but high oil prices, high interest rates that screwed up variable mortgages, and the budget deficit have weakened the dollar, caused the American people to run out of money.

This running out of money creates a slowdown and maybe even a recession.

The new Chairman (Ben Bernanke (sp?)) inherited the last Greenspan mistake and really has tried to head it off, but the very HIGH oil prices are out of his control. Also out of his control is the housing issue, people are defaulting on their homes at extreemly high rates.

So $800 won't reallyhelp, it can't hurt though, what needs to happen is that the U.S. has to stop importing so much crap from China, reduce its oil usage, get out of Iraq,and not let people buy houses they can't afford.

Taxes really are lower than they had been in the past, but if you get a Democrat in they will go up tremendously and then the problem will be harder to beat.
+1000 Somewhat...

Lowering interest rates helps TEMPORARILY. - Suddenly with lower interest rates, people can afford things they were not previously able to. - SUV's, Houses (mentioned above), etc. - If you think "homes at extremely high rates" is true, note that in '99 my first mortgage wasa "great" 8.25%. - 2 refinances later (and a bit of debt consolidation) I'm at 5.25%

A lot of this recession talks is caused byinflation catching up with us from a decade of lowered interest rates.

All this combined with a country that loves fossil fuels. $4-$5 gas? - We have no-one to blame but ourselves.

"Maybe even a recession" - Open your eyes. - The only people that will be somewhat immune to this are the farmers and in border states - Crop prices finally are improving, and we have that great country to the north (O Canada)that loves to spend their dollars at par (and probably even better) down here in our border towns.

Taxes are not bad at this point (Especially if you have 3 kids - god I love those $1000 Child Tax Credits) - Wars are expensive... - Someday soon the the US will need to pay for what it's doing today. - $800 or $1200 back will really cost us $1200-$2400 per individual/family down the road. - Bush is purely doing this to keep his party going and give the impression he is doing something about the failing economy. - Watch - It will be a major campaign slogan for the Republicans. - Their futile attempt at buying your vote.

I think people will see through this, and it will give the Dem's a great opportunity to take control yet again. - Unless Hillary or Obama are on the ticket... - I like both of them, but I'm not sure that they are electable...

My.02 - GET YOUR FINANCIAL HOUSES IN ORDER - It's gonna be a bumpy ride over the next 5 years...

Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM

I'd use mine to pay down some of my debt. I have too much.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 AM

thats such garbage.. we need a recession to show people we need change! ASAP... i make great money and save a ton.. im not putting anymore money into economy that i dont have to.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: OKIEZAC

thats such garbage.. we need a recession to show people we need change! ASAP... i make great money and save a ton.. im not putting anymore money into economy that i dont have to.
I dont want to have a recession. I dont make any money. I could be put on the street because I can't afford to buy gas. That or I could be screw for good later in my life because I had to borrow to stay alive now.

Who get the $800?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM

If you're up for a read here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/stimulus_...eakJwi50kGw_IE

"Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke lent his considerable weight on the side of a stimulus package on Thursday. "Getting money to low and moderate income people is good in the sense of getting a bang for the buck," he told the House Budget Committee. He said packages in the range of $50 billion to $150 billion would be "reasonable" to help the economy.

Bush has gone down the tax rebate road before. Back in 2001, he added refunds of up to $300 per individual and $600 per household as a recession-fighting element of the tax cut plan that had been the centerpiece of his 2000 campaign.

The administration is examining boosting those amounts this time around to up to $800 for individual taxpayers and $1,600 for families.

Congressional aides to lawmakers participating in talks with the administration said the White House would like to eliminate the 10 percent income tax bracket for one year and quickly get the savings to taxpayers through rebate checks."

Quick Reply: $800 goverment check