Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

3M protection kit advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3M protection kit advice.

Has anyone ever used a 3m clear tape to protect their bike? Im wanting to preserve the way my bike looks and already have some very small chips on the lower fairings. My only concern is since my bike is the phoenix edition the graphics aren’t clear coated on which leaves a small bump between the fairing and graphic. If I were to put the 3m tape on it would there be an air bubble there? Any feedback will help.
Here is what I was looking at. http://www.thetankslapper.com/buy/to..._3m/honda.html

Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one of the downsides I see to it is the fact that it is soft. It will become damaged on its own and look like crap in your impact areas. You can squeegy out most of the air, but there may be a little gap between the graphic and the painted part, but it shouldn't affect anything. It will be pretty faint and not readily noticable. when you apply it with soapy water, you have to squeegy out all of the water and soap, and the air bubbles come with it for the most part.

The other downside I see with that film is it traps dirt around it. You will be able to see the edge of it. Its not a huge deal, but is by no means invisible. you can see clearly that it is on your bike. It would be too big of a pina to remove it and clean your bike.

But, about the only way to protect your bike from chips.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Initially, it will look great if you've prepped properly & applied correctly. However, like already mentioned, it will eventually show impacts w/ debris (that will collect dirt), etc. I've had it on my RC51 on the bottom section of my lowers, liked it til it began to wear, then removed it. What I do now is clean well, use a cleaner wax to polish, & carnuba wax to protect. That's about the best protection w/o actually having a barrier like the tape.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice. I think ill just start using the wax as a small barrier. Thanks

Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got just the static tank protector one through these guys and it works just fine. Biggest thing is just getting the air out like was suggested in a previous post. I haven't noticed any issues with discoloration or anything like that, but it's on a black bike. The thing I like about it is the fact that if it starts to peel I can just re-apply it by washing and waxing the bike. I've had it on the bike for over a year without it peeling up.