Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

35 mph over = NO TICKET?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 35 mph over = NO TICKET?!?

Most likely it was cause you were goign so fast by the time he got out and up to speed he is putting his life, yours, and other motorists, lifes on the line. I have a few cop buddies and they tell me most of the time depends on the cop if your really hauling *** there not going to bother with you, But from what they say that is only the vet cops the noobs are all on you. Their theory is your not going to kill someone else as if your were in a car your the only one going to die so they dont want to bother. That is just what i heard from a hand full of lapd

Old 06-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Banned

Most likely it was cause you were goign so fast by the time he got out and up to speed he is putting his life, yours, and other motorists, lifes on the line.
I know a local cop that carries around a copy of a ticket he gave a guy on a bike for 156mph in a 45mph. It is his 'trophy'. Not all cops won't chase you down and/or call for support to catch a speeder to preserve the lives of innocent motorists. I live in a fairly small town, so the cops here really live for the exitement of chasing a motorcycle, it somehow validates them. In a real city, with real crime, I would imagine the police have better things to do.

Speed enforcement radar does NOT work like the radar used by the military.
Agreed. Speed enforcement radar uses the 'doppler shift' phenomena, some military radar doesn't. The ranges on the electromagnetic spectrum are vastly different too. The biggest difference I understand in the interpretation of the the return of the radar's signal on an object and how it is 'interpreted' by software and then what type and how that information is displayed to the operator. Then again, I only worked the coatings side, so my info is probably a little off.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Hey thanks for all the input guys.

I figured it was merely luck that I escaped without a ticket... but I thought there might have been a scientific explanation for it as well. Guess we'll never know what he was up to - so I'll just keep thinking that I am invisible at 90mph!!

Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 PM

I wouldnt think that my friend. A few weeks ago in WA state, our State patrol plane followed a speeding R6 for miles until he was stopped behind heavy traffic then ground units swarmed in and took his *** down. He was totally unaware that he was being chased cuz nobody was able to keep up with him other than the plane. All i say is just becareful of what you do because the eye in the sky will be there from time to time. Nobody is invisble.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 PM

I believe it is legal to speed if you are passing slower traffic. If the speed limit is 60 and the slow car is doing 50 they can't expect you to do 60 to pass the cars, cuz it would take forever.If it was a curvy road you don't have a choice as long as you slow down after you pass the slower cars.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM

All i say is just becareful of what you do because the eye in the sky will be there from time to time. Nobody is invisble.
"Thinking I am invisible" was an extremely sarcastic statement. I am fully aware that it was probably 90% luck that I didn't get nabbed. Besides, I've been pulled over so many times and for so many reasons that I know there's always a cop around the next corner... or above that cloud. Now damnit, just let me believe I am invisible for one day!!!

I believe it is legal to speed if you are passing slower traffic.
Sorry buddy, I've used that argument with the magistrate and it doesn't work. As a matter of fact, they taught us in driver's ed (many, many years ago) that it was indeed IL-legal. The only time I ever got away with that excuse was in the U.P. where curvy roads and hills are not hard to come by. I flew past a guy (in my car) going 70 in a 55 - state cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for 5 mph over. I wrote a letter to the judge, BS-ing my way through some explanation for my speed and admitting that I knew it was wrong to speed even though I was passing someone. I got a letter back from them saying the judge reduced my ticket to a 75 in a 70. I was like "What the hell is that all about?" As I continued to read on, the "reduced" ticket still cost the same amount of money - but there were no points associated for 5 over in a 70 (unlike 5 over in any other zone). MAN I LOVE MICHIGAN!!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:59 PM

I had a similar experience on memorial day, i was out in the twisties on my 600rr and chasing my buddy on his R1. We are averaging between 75-100 depending on curves and what not just having fun(we hit these same roads that go for miles a two laner all the time) well all the sudden a cbr1000rr comes flying past me and i was doing 90ish and then passes my buddy. We didn't even see him coming then my buddy goes and passes him and i am playing hell trying to keep up. We are hitting speeds of 140 and then over the smallest hill there is a little pull off section i am going 128mph. Just as a crest the top of the hill i see a cop, i almost **** myself there is never cops out there and forgetting it was memorial day we were hauling *** i thought for sure he would bust us arrest us and impound our bikes...But he didn't even budge the slightest bit.

Amazing.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:58 PM

its not legal to speed while passing other cars i got a ticket while i was passing 2 cars he clocked me a 82 but dropped it to 74 and i asked him about it and he said you were not supposed to break 55 even while passing

Old 06-03-2006, 02:41 AM

i have had a run in or ten with the local law. just go faster and you can usually get away before the chopper can get on scene. i know guys who pass cops just to **** them off so them can run and laugh about it later. i have never had a plane follow me but a bike cop tried in the canyons and he was damn good to. had to really work to loose him. when i checked behind me he was right there actually scraping him hard points trying to keep up. blew my damn mind. i have met cops that will not even blink at letting a bike go just because they are going so damn fast. i have also met some cops here in los angeles that will hit the lights and then give a ticket to the idiot that actualy stops. they think it is funny.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 AM

Bigdan - Well I don't think I've got the cajones to try and outrun the po-po. More power to you though! My philosophy is that the speeding ticket will be better than the speeding, fleeing and eluding, and wreckless operation of a motor vehicle tickets I would get when they caught me!

And they might not catch you every time... but like everyone says in regards to tix and wrecks: "It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN."