Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

1st encounter with the Law

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
When I get stopped for doing 30 in a 35 or no lights at 5:30 pm, its a bit insulting. Actually its DWB and very insulting.
so you were speeding and should have had lights on? in florida, you must have a working headlight on yer bike, no excuse... i understand being pissed off for being pulled over, but to show attitude olny irritates the cop. this was intended to help you, as being cool to the cop will make the stop a little less painful, weather your rite or wrong....peece

Old 04-19-2010, 02:31 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by bambam
so you were speeding and should have had lights on? in florida, you must have a working headlight on yer bike, no excuse... i understand being pissed off for being pulled over, but to show attitude olny irritates the cop. this was intended to help you, as being cool to the cop will make the stop a little less painful, weather your rite or wrong....peece
Noo he is saying he got pulled over for going less then the speed limit 30mph in a posted 35, unless it was a typo. and for not having lights on at 5:30pm.... its still bright out at that time!

But I agree with you I just say sir and agree with everything they say and most of the time it works

Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
Noo he is saying he got pulled over for going less then the speed limit 30mph in a posted 35, unless it was a typo. and for not having lights on at 5:30pm.... its still bright out at that time!
all is what i ment,, the cop is "right"....you were speeding(everyone says i was goin 5 under) and on a motorcycle for safety reasons and the law , your headlights must be on at all times, it does not matter if it is 12 noon and a clear sky, your lights should be on. that is why there is not a switch to turn them off....

Old 04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all is what i ment,, the cop is "right"....you were speeding(everyone says i was goin 5 under) and on a motorcycle for safety reasons and the law , your headlights must be on at all times, it does not matter if it is 12 noon and a clear sky, your lights should be on. that is why there is not a switch to turn them off....
I did say "DWB". Wasn't riding. Was driving the VW Beetle. Whose headlights are always on. It was the brake lights that weren't on (but fully functional) at 5:30 pm

And the 30 in a 35 was from a dead stop at a stop light to 1/2 down the block, when I pulled over. Aka, no way the Beetle accelerated to the speed limit let alone past it. Both stops were BS so they could run the plates and make sure I hadn't stolen the car. I know this because on both stops I had to sit for 10 minutes...

But they never asked for DL, insurance and registration

Old 04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Nex

I hardly ever get pulled over anymore, not till recently on the bike. Last few times I did get pulled over I did tend to get a little attitude. I agree, in the end it always works out better to give them the "yes sir, no sir ect ect", it's an ego thing with them I'm sure. It seems no matter what the circumstances, I always end up with a citation of some sort, even if it is super minor. Got a $300 one last summer for getting into it with a Lesbian officer (man hater), and all over tags that expired a few days prior on my Subaru.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

O yea I know I agree with you I was just saying what Kuro said cuz I knew he was talking about getting pulled over in his car not bike....
And yea I know about the headlight Im glad it stays on always for bikes, and I always ride with my high beam on during the morning, day and dusk.

and yea nex youre right just always say the yes sir, mkay sir bs, but really im just rolling my eyes like you got nothing on me pce.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
O yea I know I agree with you I was just saying what Kuro said cuz I knew he was talking about getting pulled over in his car not bike....
And yea I know about the headlight Im glad it stays on always for bikes, and I always ride with my high beam on during the morning, day and dusk.

and yea nex youre right just always say the yes sir, mkay sir bs, but really im just rolling my eyes like you got nothing on me pce.
It's situational. I generally do start out with "Can I help you, officer?". But the deeper the chit, the deeper my attitude goes. Stone sober I've had the "Well what are you on?" questioning.

I can sit there and take it with more of the "Yes Sir / no Sir / Three bags full, Sir, I don't do drugs" (cause I don't). Or say "Look, if you're so sure let's take it to the station. My first call is to my lawyer".

Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I did say "DWB".
Isn't Philly a pretty diverse city? That's sad to hear that kinda crap still happens.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by raylee
Isn't Philly a pretty diverse city? That's sad to hear that kinda crap still happens.
Philly is diverse. But in certain areas there is still a presumption of guilt based on a variety of social factors. I am an older man living in the middle of a college campus, driving a late model VW Beetle that obviously belongs to a female (stuffed animals, flowers and beads inside). The assumption is I stole it from a college kid.

Never gotten stopped on my bike or in my work truck, even when I am bending the law.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I see it, I'm nice to an officer as long as he's civil to me. If he starts the whole "holier than thou" attitude, or starts accusing me of absurd chit, or I know I'm in the right.... the "yes sir" bullchit goes out the window.

I've been super duper azz-kissin' nice to the police before and still been treated like crap, and I've been straight and been let off.
Will being nice give you a better chance? Probably. But I don't care who you are. If you're respectful to me (even when writing me a fine), I'll be respectful to you.
I've laughed with the cops and joked around with them even after a ticket.

I will say one thing, though....
When a cop asks you "So what kind of weapons do you have?"
I'm not sure the best answer is: "Well, I have a hardhat in the back seat.... I suppose I could beat the chit out of you with that".
(some cops have no sense of humor....lol)

Quick Reply: 1st encounter with the Law