New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

used from dealer better than used from private?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used from dealer better than used from private?

hey all, as u can tell, im new to this forum as well as new to riding.

ive been riding my buddy's kawi for a good 2 months now, and am now trying to get a bike of my own. because of financing issues, ive shyed away from getting any new 600's, even though they all please me. ive noticed that there are some used bikes from private parties with awesome prices, like $4500-$5000 that supposedly are running like new and never been down. but my friend (who happens to be a sales manager at the local dealership) told me its a high risk buying from privates, and i should get a used from a dealer b/c its checked out properly.
1) dealer prices are alot higher than private, i might as well go for a new 2) its hard as hell to find a used 600 from a dealer 3) maybe he just wants a sale? but at the same time i do not wanna buy a lemon. i dont know how to detect potential problems on a bike. all i can do is notice anything thats visual, or any wierd feeling while riding.

any input would be greatly appreciated. i hope to become an active member in this forum.
p.s. id like a used 600rr, but their resale value is high as f#@k!!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Default RE: used from dealer better than used from private?

If you buy private try to take some 1 very knowlegeable in bikes with you to help.Make sure you check title vin with bike vin on the spot.There isn't alot to bikes for checking them out honestly.Take a test ride.I bought mine used and did the checking and I'm a happy customer.Not every 1 is though cause of they don't know what to check.Dealer used bikes have been checked yes,but there is still no garuntee it won't crap on you in 6 months either you know.Plus dealers will up a bike price by atleast 1k+

if your tight on money id say go used and just do your homework

Old 11-01-2006, 12:23 AM

Hello & Welcome!!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:07 AM

I will never buy from a dealer, used or new. They simply jack the price too high. Welcome to the board. And +1 on taking someone who knows bikes. Good luck. I havent owned a "new" bike yet and see no reason to change. Maybe I've gotten lucky, or maybe it's because it's good to have the money ready when that GREAT deal comes your way so you can jump on it even if it means being with out a bike for a month or so. It will happen. Just be patient. Dont buy the first bike you see in your budget either. Shop around.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:02 PM

Welcome to the forum. I agree with the others, buy a used bike that needs minimal work and has been well mantained in it lifetime. Take someone who has a good idea of how they work. Good luck

Old 11-02-2006, 09:37 PM

thanks for the input. i dont know anyone that knows bikes well enough to take with me. any particular/crucial thing i should pay attention to? also, ive found later 600 bikes in the mid $4k range w/ under 10k mi. is this price realistic, or is it a questionable one? i know almost everything there is to know about buying used cars, but a sport bike is a totally new ball park...

Old 11-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Bikes are like cars, the only thing is spotting one that has'nt been looked after well, so do the normal checks and look hard at the tyres, brakes etc and check the state of the oil and coolant and see if the bike rides will, at the end of the day, if you like the bike then you'll buy it. Don't forget to checks the body work as this may tell you if its been laid down at any time. Happy hunting.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]