New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Total Newbie. Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 250 will go 100mph true, but it won't do it accidentally.

The 250 is a great bike to learn on as it has mild power delivery, while still out muscling many cars.

The other plus - the 250 is a heck of a lot cheaper to buy. This means it is less to gamble. In the event you wreck it, you are out less money. Also it means that you will have cheaper insurance. It leaves money over for good gear (I recommend going to price gear BEFORE buying a bike - so that you plan for 500-1000 of gear). Further more, a 250's resale is very strong considering its intial price. Sure you may buy a near new one for 3000... but if you buy a 5 year old bike for 1500-2200, you will still be able to sell it for 1200-1800 in a year or two. That's very little depreciation. Buy a new 600 and you'll lose 1 or 2 ninja 250's in value.

Buy the 250 or even the 500. If you INSIST on buying a 600, please don't buy an old gem. I hate mint condition F/F2's wrecked. If you do have to buy a 600... don't get this years, or last years. They last forever... have a friend check it over for mechanical issues and buy the 1998-2000 model for pocket money. None of the cool kids want an old 600, even if they are still awesomely powerful machines.

The other thing about responsibility. Even the most even tempered guy I've met, will act like an idiot on their first sport bike. Maybe not all of the time, but it only takes one stupid act to put you in big trouble.

Going back to the 250 vs 600 arguement. You're on a nice twisty road going up a mountain. You're getting the feel for it. You see the first straight in awhile... perhaps 800 yards. You crack the throttle like Rossi exiting the corner... on the 250 you've picked up some speed, on the 600 you've crossed 100mph. You enter the turn on the 600, and this is time you panic. You're a young rider so you do it all wrong. You look straight. You mash the brakes. Done. That's it. If you panic on the 250 you'll crash just as well - but what the 250 will not do, is go faster than you can think. On the 250 you have to ask it to get to 100. On the 600 you have to think exit fast for just a second or two. People freeze in panic, giving more time to the 600 to pick up speed.

I don't think a 600 is a good beginner bike, and I'll beat it to death once more. A F/F2 is not the same as an F4i or an RR. The newer the bike the faster they rev out... and the faster you can get in trouble.

Woot the ranter. I apologize some.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i learnt on a Yamaha Virago 250cc but that was only because in Australia all learners are restricted to 250cc or less (who would seriously go less!)

about to get a 600RR (RR are also my intials which is kinda cool) but what do you know i have to sit the exact same licence again but on the larger (250cc+) bike.

but im glad i got to learn on a lighter bike. when i was on 250cc i was young and bullet proof but now i have ridden for 2 years i feel like its good time to upgrade and i feel confident that im not a fool.

cant wait for bigger bike. looking at some of these pics i feel like a kid waiting for xmas

Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 PM

UH OH....I feel some tension in the thread...LOL My two cents for what its worth, Buy that F2, take the MSF Course and while your there try and find someone taking the course with you who has a similar personality. This shouldn't be too difficult just chat up a few people and get to know them. If you don't meet someone in the class post some ads on like craigslist for someone who has similar experience as you.

Then once you have completed the course give that person a call (especially if that person is a tall blonde with huge...nevermind) and head out for a ride. I say this to drive the point home that you should never ride outside your own limits, only you know what they are, but riding with someone who has roughly the same experience as you will keep you in check. Worst thing you can do is head out one day with all of your buddies who have been riding for years and doing everything you can to try and keep up, that usually ends up in a nice wadded up pile of what used to be your ride. I've seen that scenario played out so much it makes me sick.

And lastly make sure the maintenance is up to date and don't skimp on things like tires or oil, fresh air cleaner...etc, that will make that bike with 17,000 miles continue on to 70,000 miles with nary a problem. Just remember to keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 AM

lol never heard that saying.

im so tempted to just buy a brand spanking new CBF600.

my local Honda dealer can do it for $80 per week including insurance. not sure how long the loan would be for though.

its funny my mum just got a brand new CBF250 for like $5300 AUS and I have seen them more expensive than that 2nd hand!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya man - no tension. CBRClassic's been here a long time and even though we have a different idea on it, it's nothing personal... didn't mean to put words in your mouth.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM

My 2 cents is that Woot is absolutely right. Riders do control the bike speed but if 90 in first gear is not an option then that helps the rookie factor. Besides the ninja 250 is an awsome bike to learn on, commute with great gas milage, put it back together after a crash for a fraction of the cost of a 6oo and it makes a great track bike. I can flog a big bike in the corners with one, get passed in the straight then dive in an the corner again. Get a ninja 250, learn then sell it to the next rookie.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the input. Put a down payment on an 04 kawi 250 tonight

Quick Reply: Total Newbie. Need Advice