New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Ticking/tapping noise 600f3

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022 | 07:57 AM
|
Default Ticking/tapping noise 600f3

So I've only owned a 1996 cbr 600f3 for a little over a week now runs and rides beautiful along of fun. But with the past few days I've been going over the maintenance on her she had a gas leak so I pulled the carbs and put new gaskets on the floats to fix the leak. I did absolutely no adjusting to the carbs. Only inspected the jets to see if they were plugged or dirty. Well I got my bike put back together and she started right up no issues. Everything was running like it was before minus the gas leak now well because I don't have my full face helmet on when I ride I noticed a sound coming from the bottom of the bike but only comes when the bike is warmed up and revved a few times. It sounds like a tapping noise but could sound like a ticking noise depending on where you listen for that noise. I used a flathead screwdriver to give a closer listen around the motor and what I came up with is the noise is coming from the clutch/stator area. You can clearly hear the noise through the flathead screwdriver. When I listened to the top end of my motor it was nice and quiet and made a smooth sound. But the weird thing is if you stick your head in the cluster area you can hear the noise also but it's clearly coming from the bottom.
does anyone else have this similar experience? Or am i just paranoid over normal bike noises.

Old 05-09-2022 | 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think it's anything to worry about. Most likely it's classic CCT noise. I'm not aware of anyone actually having a failure. There are plenty of threads in the forum about the noise. Clutch and gear noise is not very common at all and I'd be surprised if that was the source unless you were looking at a really poorly maintained bike or one with 100K + miles on it.

Old 05-09-2022 | 10:35 AM
|

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I don't think it's anything to worry about. Most likely it's classic CCT noise. I'm not aware of anyone actually having a failure. There are plenty of threads in the forum about the noise. Clutch and gear noise is not very common at all and I'd be surprised if that was the source unless you were looking at a really poorly maintained bike or one with 100K + miles on it.
She only has 19k miles. i keep leaning towards it being normal. I snagged a short video of the sound
posted here

Video makes the noise louder than what it is.

I'm going to keep my ears out to see if the noise gets worse or louder.

The following users liked this post:
IDoDirt (05-09-2022)