New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Third Honda... second CBR F1 ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Honda... second CBR F1 ;-)

Hello from Philadelphia, PA.

I did post up a pic of my "new" 89 CBR in the regular 600f section.. then I found this new members area. Should have introduced myself here sooner - Anyway, my first bike was in 1992, a Honda VF500F Interceptor - upgraded to a 1990 CBR600F a few years later. When I got married I sold the bike :-(

I am in my late 30s - have two young sons - am always too busy to do much of anything it seems - so I went out and got an 89 CBR 600 last week. Had been looking for about 9 months. The bike is white with gray and has 14K miles... plastics are pretty good, just a few small cracks but all original, and I am the second owner.

It is such a pleasure to have this bike again for the obvious sentimental reasons.. and riding it the past few days has been just great. I go out into my garage at night and just sit on the bike or stare at it..... I didn't realize that I missed having a bike this much. It's good to be back on a CBR and you guys have helped out already... it's a pleasure to meet you all.

The bike has lots of new parts/serviced items, but has an annoying tendency to sometimes bog down right exactly at 4K RPM and make a "stumbling" or stuttering sound for just a split second, then it starts to accelerate just fine.

Next on my list of things to fix... new fuel filter, check the temp gauge sending unit (can these be had from the auto parts stores like the fan switches, or is it a Honda bike part only?) and repack the D & D muffler.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/album.php...pictureid=5082

Old 09-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... Haven't seen that one around Philly yet but I mostly travel Center & South. I'm in Uni City / West Philly (The one I claim depends on if I'm scaring or attracting people )

Howdy fellow Philadelphian!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Hmm... Haven't seen that one around Philly yet but I mostly travel Center & South. I'm in Uni City / West Philly (The one I claim depends on if I'm scaring or attracting people )

Howdy fellow Philadelphian!
Another Philly Guy... good deal. I just rode out to the Art Museum and back today :-) I live in the Chestnut Hill/Germantown area (The one I claim can also scare or attract I suppose) Good to meet you.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbr89600
Another Philly Guy... good deal. I just rode out to the Art Museum and back today :-) I live in the Chestnut Hill/Germantown area (The one I claim can also scare or attract I suppose) Good to meet you.
Lol I rode out to Deptford, NJ yesterday... And had to leave her (2 drops = broken clutch & front brake lever). Also discovered how bad my carb problem is. So she'll be down all weekend once I get her home.

Your bike is beautiful. I hope to get mine looking half as good once I get over the n00b mistakes and paint her.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh my, she's so beautiful :-) .. I love the old CBR600F1, it has special memories for me and was the bike that turned me towards the CBRs forever!! ..... there's just something about that fully enclosed bodywork of the original F1, and those lovely clocks of course ..then again, I am hopelessly old school and miss the old F1/F2 stying :-)

I wrote a review on the F1 here ....

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/cbr600f1-super-review-bike-started-all-96749/

and, of course it sits in the F1 forum that will help you out if need be :-)

Promise me something, you will never chop bits off it and paint it matt black with a brush and expect us to all go "wow!!" ..lol

don't laugh, it happens......

Jules ;-)

Last edited by Juliet; 09-04-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 PM

Don't worry - I am a pretty plain guy and I don't even allow a pinstripe or a bumper sticker on my cars ;-) I hunted a long time to find an original F1 that had not been painted, etc. I will keep it original and unmodified.... and hopefully own this one for a long time. I also love the mid 80s to the early 90s bikes.

Someday I want to get an 86 red, white, and blue VFR750 to put next to the CBR (sigh)

Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the old VFRs too ... a friend had the VF500F, didn't they have suspect crank bearings?? ... but, the bike was so gorgeous and fun you could almost forgive ........ :-)

Jules

Last edited by Juliet; 09-04-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A belated welcome to CBRF, man!
I like the older CBRs, too. I know how you feel. I remember drooling over them when they came out.

My sister lives in Philly, too. I'm in south central PA.

Anyway, welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!