New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Salvage titles and legality.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Salvage titles and legality.

ORIGINAL: BRAINMAN1000

ORIGINAL: stephygee

There's no problems with registering a salvaged title bike. I speak from experience...my bike has a salvage title. Purchased from a fellow who barely rode it and when he did, managed to dump it in his driveway. Long story short, his bike was salvage titled after going through the dance with his insurance company, and I snagged it. Took it to DMV and registered it, called up State Farm and insured it. Paid it off and the title from the DMV reads salvaged. No problems with it to date. Good luck.
You might want to verify with your state laws. Here in Nevada it is illegal to sell a vehicle with a salvaged title and you can't register it. You have to have it repaired and inspected before you can get a 'rebuilt' title. This will vary state to state, so if you do plan on registering it you might want to check with your state DMV first.
+1...like someone said, they can be promblematic at the DMV here in NJ

Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Salvage titles and legality.

They're right, make sure that you check your local state laws. That's the biggest thing. Here in MO, if you piece together a bike, you have to have a bill of sale from each major part of the bike (tranny, engine, frame). In KS, it's the same way but the inspection process isn't as stringent. In MO, they run all the numbers. I'm going thru this right now, started several months ago. I had to go to court to prove ownership of the bike, and then took it to the DMV and they ran the numbers. The bike came up stolen, and there was a hold on it from the insurance company. Since I had the court order saying the bike was mine, they didn't want to mess with it. So $75 later and two week later, I get my bike back w/ a nice dent in it. Just a word of caution on piecing a bike together. Everything I did, I did by the book, I have no intentions ofripping someone off, it's happen to me before, I just believed the officer I bought the bike from. I think that's pretty much the short version of a long story. GL, and yes there are good deals on salvage title bikes. Here in MO, it's illegal to drive a vehicle that has a salvage title. You have to repair it back to original form, then take it in to get it inspected. If you pass, then you will get a title that reads "prior-salvaged vechile" or something like that.