New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Powder coated clutch cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powder coated clutch cover

So quick question. I had my clutch cover powder coated and there's a picture of the inside of the cover. A buddy of mine that is pretty familiar with bike said it shouldn't be a problem, which he

may be right but it just doesn't sound right so would like further input. Is all this crap on the inside going to cause me a problem with clutch or anything else later down the road? Also having trouble getting the lifter arm to connect to the clutch pin I think. Maybe I did connect it right the first time I don't know but is there anyway I can check that it is connected properly without the bike running, or maybe someone can post a picture of the correct position of lifter arm. I still have a few more things to do to it before it is running again. Thanks ahead

Old 04-17-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...nce-one-23709/

Even though it looks like a fine coat of overspray, personally I would clean it off. I’m not sure what the long term effects of hot oil would have but generally speaking it’s not supposed to be there, simple as that. If it’s gone you won’t have to concern yourself with it anymore. Issue gone.
Best of luck mate.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:48 PM

Any suggestions on what is best to use to clean it off

Old 04-25-2020, 03:12 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Have u tried brake cleaner or acetone? If those dont work i bet aircraft stripper would do it

Old 04-29-2020, 11:28 AM

Well i got most of it off with brake cleaner and a wire brush. took a bit of scrubbing but did the trick. thanks for the responses fellas.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:45 AM

on another note. i have put the clutch cover on a couple times and i cannot for the life of me seem to get the lifter arm to disengage the clutch. as of now with it on, it seems the arm is moving counter clockwise way to much and pushing it with my finger doesn't seem to be disengaging it either, does anyone have a pic or video on how the arm should be facing without cable attached, or how much it should move back and forth? its really begging to **** me off and it is not broke on the inside??

Old 04-29-2020, 02:30 PM

Pic with cover on and cable disconnected:
Name:  OBqN27kh.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  114.8 KB
Sorry do not have pics of the lifter piece itself atm. But if you look at the part of the clutch lever rod (the thing u put in the clutch cover) that interacts with the lifter piece (the thing that comes out of the middle of the clutch pack): there should be a U shaped cutout, that turns to a thinner parallel cutout, like this )====
You want the U part to face directly to the engine side / lifter piece when you put the cover in. And rotate it clockwise as you install it so that the lifter piece goes into the === part. Raising/lowering the rod slightly can help you feel it.
You won't b able to disengage the clutch by pulling on it by hand -- at least I couldn't -- had to have the clutch cable connected, otherwise it just turns and turns and feels like it "slips out"

Old 04-29-2020, 03:44 PM

Okay well I think I did it right. I can't see how far back counter-clockwise yours will turn without the clutch cable. I did get some new levers off eBay but it's the same clutch cable and now the cable won't reach. Possibly the levers? I get off in about an hour or so and we'll post a couple pics. I would hate to take it back off and drain the oil and redo the gasket again if it is in the correct spot and it is just the levers

Old 04-29-2020, 05:16 PM

Do these positions look correct

Old 04-29-2020, 07:37 PM

That looks about right to me. I also have cheapie $20 chinese ebay levers. Have you tried installing the cable with more slack? Sometimes you have to install it with more slack an then readjust the slack after install.
I definitely wouldnt re do the job until you've confirmed it DOESNT work.
Tip IF you have to re do it: take the clutch cover off with the bike on the kickstand and you will not have to drain or refill any oil. no mess!

Quick Reply: Powder coated clutch cover