F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

clutch cover - I cant figure this out.. any experience on this one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch cover - I cant figure this out.. any experience on this one?

Ok... so I am putting back my bike together. I encountered this frustrating problem. I will try and be as clear as possible.

I was installing the right crankcase cover (clutch cover). The cover has a spindle which rotates and is attached to the clutch cable at one end. The other end whgich goes into the crankcase cover should engage the clutch lifter (in the middle of the clutch basket). On the manual, it says that you should push the crankcase cover while turning the spindle clockwise to engage the lifter. I have done this procedure 20 times at least but I still cant get it right. The funny thing is that the spindle does engage the lifter but it gets locked and the spindle wont turn around. I am totally confused on this one guys. Any1 knows the solution?

Thanks people
Chris

Old 09-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Default RE: clutch cover - I cant figure this out.. any experience on this one?

just look at the inside of the cover and rotate the "spindle" so that the open end is facing you, all the lifter needs to do is get all the way into the "spindle"
the important thing is to make sure the spindle doesn't rotate while your putting it on until the lifter gets into place

I had the same trouble and actually broke the tip off the lifter when the spindle rotated without my noticing

Old 09-24-2006, 05:07 PM

Thanks woody for your help.

I followed your instructions to the letter and still I have the same problem.

Picture this-

The upper part of the spindle which attaches to the clutch cable, points into the frame (perpendicular to the side frame). Lets say this is our 12 o clock. When you plunge the clutch, the spindle turns clockwise from 12 to 2'o clock. (at 2'o clock the clutch is disengaged) This is the scenario which I had before dismantling the clutch cover.

NOW - after mounting the clutch cover and engaging the lifter, the spindle wont turn past 12 o clock, it completely locks at 12 o clock. I am waiting to get the gear shifter installed because right now it is stuck in 3 rd gear and want to re try putting the clitch cover in neutral, maybe it changes something.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:34 PM

I think (not 100% sure though) that you need to start with the spindle @ 9 o'clock then rotate a little towards 12 until you feel the lifter go into the open part, after that it should be cake
remember that the clutch lever gives a LOT of leverage so you might not be able to pull the spindle by hand enough to feel the clutch engage but if you know you have the lifter inside the open spot, it should be fine just feel your way when tightening the bolts to make sure your not going to break the lifter

just sounds like your overthinking it a little which is exactly what I did the first time

Old 09-25-2006, 01:41 PM

thats what i was doing .. starting at 9 ending at 12 o clock. I really wish I was overthinking but the objective picture is that the spindle locks at 12 o clock and there's barely enough cable left to enagage the clutch lever at the other end. When I finally managed to engage the clutch lever, it was too hard to pull and felt like i was gonna break something if i tried to plunge further.
The most frustrating part is that I feel that I have the lifter in place, in fact once it is engaged I cant pull out the clutch cover cos its locked in place without bolts. No idea... its sending me crazy.

thanks for your help woody

Chris

Old 09-26-2006, 04:30 PM

ok ... got it right finally... installed it and everything went fine.... dont ask me what went wrong before cos i dont know.

Is the crankacase cover meant to have a gasket at all? Mine didnt have one so I just used black gasket sealer.

Chris

Old 09-26-2006, 06:18 PM

the clutch cover needs High temp RTV Silicone gasket maker stuff (it HAS TO BE HIGH TEMP or it will LEAK)
the stator cover uses precut gasket

Old 09-27-2006, 01:17 AM

woody don't they make a gasket for that side?

Old 09-27-2006, 01:40 AM

only the stator cover (left side)
the right side has to have a silicone gasket because it needs to give a little
you can't use a "hard" gasket because the assembly that pulls the clutch is made into the clutch cover, so it pulls that cover in when pulling the clutch out. If you used a hard gasket it would warp the cover and eventually crack/break it and would probably leak
the silicone lets it pull the cover in without warping the cover and when its released the gasket material expands with it, a paper gasket would just leak