New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Possible CBR600f3 owner!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible CBR600f3 owner!

Hello all! I currently own a 1999 Suzuki GS500e. I am looking to upgrade to a sportbike now... I have found a bike i am interested in, but i am unsure of its dependability, etc...

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/1107472726.html

I breifly spoke with the owner today, its has 33,xxx miles, is pretty much stock except for the mirrors and sliders, the tires are in good condition. No cracks in the fairings (only the decal is messed up). I plan on looking at the bike in person when i get off work today...

I have a few ?'s to ask: Is that too many miles for this bike? Can it be considered "dependable"? Is this a decent price? Is this bike fast in comparison to more recent 600cc sport bikes?

Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated! if all goes smooth hopefully i will be around here more often, THANKS!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM

So last night i took that 97' f3 for a test ride. It seemed to run with no problems, untill i stopped and turned it off to inspect it. When i was ready to go again the battery had died, and i didn't even leave the turned with the lights on. The owner said he installed a new battery, but with sport bikes they must be charged every night? He also said there is no charging system on the cbr... That seems wrong to me.

The bike had been dropped on both sides. When i asked about maintenance he didn't even know when the oil was last changed.

Even with these factors i made him an offer of $2,000 cash. He said he can get way more than that for it, so i just walked away...

Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forums!! :-)

The F3s are great bikes but you must look for a well kept and serviced example .. otherwise you just spend precious time fixing and getting upset, life's too short ..it's worth paying more for a good one which will end up cheaper in the long run and give you plenty of smiles :-)

As for the battery, what poppycock!! ..mine is 11 years old on the original Yuasa battery and has gone months without being charged and fired the bike right up with no problems, only this year did it fail to start the bike as it wasn't run for about 5 months, after it was charged it started right away ...

Good luck!!

Jules

Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 AM

Thanks for all the positive replies!

I thought that was a load of s#$t when he told me that cbr's don't have a charging system for the battery. good thing i'm not a TOTAL sucker...

Right now i'm looking at a 99' CBR600F4, 22,xxx miles, seems much better maintained than the last bike. BUT this one has also been laid down, but only on one side and it seems pretty minor.

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/1109031075.html

I'm only looking at buying the bike and cover since i already have my own gear. Tomorrow i will be going by and looking at the bike in person, we are talking about doing a trade, my 1999 GS500e plus $2,500-$3,000 cash. This of course is depending on the condition of his CBR and mantainence records...

Any suggestions/comments?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Its official, i am now the owner of a 1999 CBR600F4! She has 22,6xx miles, completely stock with the exception of a fender chop...

My first problem i have come across is that i can't unlock the seat. The previous owner chopped the fender down and moved the license plate up. It seems that the license plate is covering the key hole for the seat. Is there an easy fix? such as relocating the lock?

Also can i put a slip on exhaust on the bike with out re-jetting?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by turboryan
Its official, i am now the owner of a 1999 CBR600F4! She has 22,6xx miles, completely stock with the exception of a fender chop...

My first problem i have come across is that i can't unlock the seat. The previous owner chopped the fender down and moved the license plate up. It seems that the license plate is covering the key hole for the seat. Is there an easy fix? such as relocating the lock?

Also can i put a slip on exhaust on the bike with out re-jetting?

Thanks!
congrats on the new ride

as for the lock i dont think that you could relocate the lock easily, relocating the plate would be the easier option, you could get a fender eliminator or undertail to mount the plate to or even mount it on the swingarm... theres a ton of stuff on the site about those topics so you could do a search

as far as i know it will still run fine without re-jetting if you plan just a slip on, but if you were to go full exhaust and headers it may run a little rough

good luck

Old 04-10-2009, 11:35 AM

if you want to relocate the lock, I am unsure how other people do it and where they do it. If you decide to go with an undertail to clean the look up a little it will relocate the lock to underneath the tail of the bike. But then you would have to worry about where/how to mount your license plate and turn signals (if you dont use an integrated light) it looks nice and good luck with it!

Quick Reply: Possible CBR600f3 owner!