New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

noob, wanting a bike!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob, wanting a bike!!

hello cbrforum!!!

After reading a few threads in the noob section, I got the feeling that this is a pretty positive and uplifting site for people wanting to get into this sport but have very little experience. Im pretty sure I will be spending countless hours soaking up all of the info from here.

Anyway, a little bit about me.Im looking into possibly getting a 600 f4i. Im not sure on the exact year yet. Basically whatever will fit in my budget of roughly $5500. I like alot of firsttimers here have very little experience on a bike, if any at all. The only experience that I have is my little 125cc pitbike that i used to have a few months ago. I am 5'5", 140lbs and feel that my size will limit me as far as what I can ride. Hence the reason for getting the pit bike. I knew i could ride that and not struggle to keep the bike up. I have sat on a new 2008 cbr 600rr just to see if me riding a crotch rocket will even be feasable. i think lowering it an inch or two in the back should allow my feet to rest on the road comfortably when at a stop.

I have a couple friends that have some good experience with bikes and they have assured me that the 600 wont be too much for me so long as i respect the bike and what it can do and trust me i do have alot of respect. Im darn near scared outta my mind about killing myself on it. I have no intentions of later on down the road stunting it or trying to push the limits of the bike.I just want to be able to commute back and forth to work and putt around the town everyso often.

I have considered the new 2008-9 Kawi Ninja 250r but i dont want to outgrow it in a month or two and have to go through the hassle of selling it. Anyway, now that you know a little bit about me and my situation, I welcome new input. thanks for your time and have a great day!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: noob, wanting a bike!!

Welcome to the board! You should be able to find a nice 600 in your price range. And I don't think you would have to lower it ... 5ft5 should be o.k. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the site, this is a great site and fun to be a part of :-)

The bike issue is very subjective ...most myself included think a 600 for a complete novice can be a bit much especially if you use the high rev performance it can catch you out on a bend or somewhere inappropiate when it hits the power band ..so a 250cc - 500cc bike is often considered best to get some decent experience on ... my thinking is even if you got a little bored of the performance itself there is still lots of scope for learning handling and cornering particuarly in regards to counter steering (see link in my sig) ... a 600cc can be fine for a learner too because they are ***** cats low down and very predictable, Hondas in particular have a nice build up of torque that takes you into the power band gradually and without too much of a leap unlike say a two stroke or other bikes with a more fierce power band ... Honda 600s tend to be very progressive ..but the problem lies if you are singing her at high revs say 9-10k and grab a handful of throttle it can be quite a surge of power through the back wheel .. only you know how restrained you are ... I used to have a Kawasaki GPZ500 and that was great, didnt have the top end of a 600 but was still a strong performer ..light and fantastic in traffic being so narrow ..I miss it in many ways but wont go back now :-)

Jules

Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM

Welcome to the forum!! great place to be. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and will do fine with that kind of attitude. Stick around, ask questions and i'm sure you'll find what will make you happy. Good thing about a 250 is they hold their values pretty well so you might want to think about that. Lowering a bike changes the geometery and requires a knowledgeable individual to set it back up properly again. Good luck with your search!! Keep us posted.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think the F4i is a great choice.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM

Welcome. I'm the same height as you are and didn't have a problem with the F4i. Along with a lot of other people, I don't recommend lowering a bike. It changes the handling sometimes making itharder to ride. Sign up for the MSF course, and take things slow. You should be fine.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:49 PM

thanks to all who welcomed me into the cbr family! Is there anyone in the Phoenix,AZ. area on this forum???

Old 09-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome, Robdizz !
No probs with the F4i - nice bike - I'd keep it below 7000RPM for the first month or so - the power band on these bikes is incredible and will catch you out if you're not expecting it. Juliet has a 600, which she keeps dropping (eeeek) and apart from that she's an expert at counter steering, too.......
(runs off into the sunset, angry Jules in hot pursuit)

Quick Reply: noob, wanting a bike!!