New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

newb w/ CBR600 F1 former track bike, bringing it back to life... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb w/ CBR600 F1 former track bike, bringing it back to life... suggestions?

Howdy folk...I'm from the Waco Texas area. My uncle has been riding for years and gave me his bike. ( 89 CBR600 F1 ) He purchased it from a friend that ran a Honda dealership and raced it for 2 years. (removed all stickers and painted it yellow) He rode it for years after that. From what I understand it's lowered and stiffened on the suspension. HiPerf clutch, new exh, set carbs, tuned up, oil & other goodies were either on it or newly done near the time he retired it. Last time he used this bike was a few years ago. It ran perfect, but wouldn't keep the battery charged. Any suggestions on what to do to revive a bike that has been sitting in a garage for 3~5 years? How do you clean the tank and what else would need to be taken care of? You guys sound like your bike vets, I can weld, machine, fabricate, trouble shoot electronics, and tear near anything apart and put it back together. Just don't want to screw up a nice bike since I don't have m/c engine experience..... Is it a gonner or can their be LIFE? Thanks

Old 10-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: newb w/ CBR600 F1 former track bike, bringing it back to life... suggestions?

Thanks for the info, that is about what I was thinking. Do you know of anywhere I could get parts pretty cheap? I know I'm going to need a regulator (uncle says it smoked) (factory or only aftermarket?)? How do you adjust all 4 carbs? Is that better off left to a pro? I can completely rebuild jeeps and trucks end to end for rock crawling and for jungle use, but have no m/c engine experience......