New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to the scene, anyone mind answering a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the scene, anyone mind answering a few questions?

For one I tried searching, but everything I put in came back with nothing. So heres the deal. As of now I drive an eclipse GSX so im big into those and with college and gas and just for enjoyment I decided to pick up a bike. Heres the couple of questions

Im getting a good deal on a 1997 CBR 600 F3 with 12XXX miles, its only 400 bucks but a fixer upper. He said the forks are bent and I can see they are in the pictures. Is that a hard swap to some new forks and a new front rim, because other than that everything is sound- The frame, all the plastics are there and the rest looks decent.

Also what years are the parts interchangable for? Could I use 96 F3 forks? or 95 or 98...you get my drift. From what I have been reading the F3 was 95-98 is that correct?
If anyone else has anything good to say about these Bikes please chime in thanks and good to be here - Matt Below are pictures of my car and the bike with the bent forks,whats your take on the damage? Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/18324/D1163FED1FDD457896008DBA202B3E87.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/18324/89D07A3B058A46798ACDB773B5F32FC7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Default RE: New to the scene, anyone mind answering a few questions?

Hello & Welcome!!

You can swap parts from bikes that were born within a few years, but when they change style it becomes harder.....but I do not know much about your year....

Old 06-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Retired Administrator

Welcome to the forum... what's the story on how the forks got bent?

I'd be worried about frame damage around the front forks. Forks would be easy enough to change, but I pics of a 1000RR showing the steering stem ripping through the frame from some kid screwing up a wheelie. Doesn't take much. How do you do that much damage to the forks and not damage the wheel.

I ride with a couple of F3s, nice bikes so if it's fixable, you'll have a nice bike. Just check the neck where the steering stem is. I'd hate to see you wreck because of it.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:59 AM

Story is the kid is comming up over a hill too fast and at the top the road T's with a brick wall in front of him, he bailed and the wheel,forks took the brunt of the hit.
Everything looked alright today, If he shows me the title then Im going to buy it...I could even part it out if I had to but I would rather get it back on the road. Thanks again guys.

Also he if proveded me with a bill of sale but no title, could that come back and bite me in the *** later on, or a a bill of sale keeping me safe on my end of the transactio?. I dont want to drop 400 on it and then some schmuck with the title show up like DUur thats my Bike. Know what I mean? anythoughts on all of that? Thanks. -Matt

Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 AM

If you were doing the work yourself, I could see it as a great opportunity to make something out of nothing. If you have to pay someone to do it you run into the risk of it becoming a money pit.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: mmookey

If you were doing the work yourself, I could see it as a great opportunity to make something out of nothing. If you have to pay someone to do it you run into the risk of it becoming a money pit.
No soo thats why Im torn...all the work would be done slowly over winter down in my garage. I love doing that kind of stuff anyways. Even if the whole thing ended up to time consuming or what ever I know I could part it out. Also it comes witha yoshipipe on it so I think Im going to give it a go.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 AM

Welcome to the site!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:40 AM

For me, no title no sale. Too high of a chance of it being stolen. Can you get the VIN and go to the police station to see if its reported stolen? Can you even get plateswithout a title?

Old 07-01-2007, 08:24 PM

I got him to go get the title from the girl whos name its under, but now supposedly theres 3 offers of 750 on the table when the title arrives. So I just told him fine if they take it, if not you know where I am...I would like to pick it up now, but I have a feeling once its gone from him I wont get the effort of someone who wants to make a sale looking for the title..If he even looks after I buy it so, its on hold and Im awaiting word. wish me luck