New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Riders Stay WithIn your Boundaries!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Riders Stay WithIn your Boundaries!!

His name was Reed, 23 years old, college graduate and business entrepeneur. I didn't know him well personally, but a lot of my closefriends are very shook up by his passing and I feel for his family. This is a terrible way to start the riding season here in CT. He died about 5 miles from where I live.

http://www.wfsb.com/news/15693679/detail.html

Witnesses say he was doing wheelies down Rte 6 (a highly travalled secondary road, 4 lanes wide) and he lost control and he struck a car coming the opposite way, and was run over and pronounced dead at the scene. He was wearing a helmet and some gear but I guess that doesn't help under these circumstances.

Let his death be a lesson to young riders and veteran riders alike!!! Stay with in your boundaries!! Don't let the machine control you!!! Please don't let Reed's death be an unnecessary event and learn from his mistakes!!

http://www.legacy.com/HartfordCouran...onId=106317543

This is avery, very unfortunate occurence...keep both tires on the road!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned
Default RE: New Riders Stay WithIn your Boundaries!!

How sad.

The mix of a powerful motorcycle with the urge to explore its performance envelope leads to losses like this. Almost all of our bikes have more power than the GP bikes of the early 80s and almost none of us have the skill or the places to learn to even come close to mastering them.

It is a sad day when someone dies doing something that is just for fun, but our bikes aren't toys, they may be fun, but they aren't toys. They can't be treated as such and we can't look at them in that way.

This is another example of all the safety gear in the world will not save you, your best safety equipment is your brain, you have to use it. Everyone thinks because they aren't wearing a kevlkar jacket that they are a squid, but a being a squid isn't how you dress, it is how you conduct yourself when on your bike.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R.I.P. Reed.
So tragic at such a young age and had a lot going for him.

Be safe everyone.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Sad to see stuff like this as it's a waste. Yes, way too many young and now older people hopping on machines they shouldn'y be on, just because of the "coolness" factor. As a CT and MSF certified motorcycle safety instructor, it's worse when we see the stats and the way reality is. Sadly, I'm starting to think graduated licensing should be implemented here in the states on a full time basis. *shrugs* We'll always be at risk, but improper knowledge and skill always will result in this kind of crash.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Banned

Sadly, I'm starting to think graduated licensing should be implemented here in the states on a full time basis.
+1... and it'll bring all the cool little sportbikes here as an added bonus.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Thats sad and tragic.When I first got my cbr I could not wait to try to learn tricks but, verysoon Irealized that this a powerful machine it will treate me with the respect I treate it. Now after two years I'm the only one of my friends that has not laid my bike down.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 AM

wow. That's so sad. I hope this riding season doesnt keep up with this trend. Just ride safe out there guys!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jfunkRR

Let his death be a lesson to young riders and veteran riders alike!!! Stay with in your boundaries!!
+1 The first thing I thought when I saw the title of this thread was that it's not just new riders who need to remember this. Experienced riders might have a better sense of where the limits are, but we can't afford to get cocky or complacent, no matter how many miles we have.

There's a place to push your boundaries, whether you're dragging a knee or doing a high-chair wheelie, but that place isn't a busy, public road.

Ride safe, all.