New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Rider/HID question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Rider/HID question

Welcome

Old 01-26-2006, 05:10 PM

In terms of the scorpio alarm, is it very sensitive (do you have the perimeter sensor as well)? well worth the money??

thanks chain for the pix of the hid kit....those will come in real handy once i order mine. what brand and what temperature are your bulbs?? the majority my riding is during the day, but i do quite a bit of riding at night. not to mention i just love the way the HID's look. speaking of other mods....what else would anyone recommend??

i'd like to do performance mods eventually...but for the moment i would like to get adjusted to riding and learning the machine better before i start beefing it up.

thanks for all the input.....i love this forum

Old 01-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are either the 6200K or 6500K -- can't find the box. They came from HIDExpress.com but I believe they wen't belly up cause the website doesn't work anymore. Pretty much any brand will work though -- just make sure their bulb will fit H7 applications.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:39 PM

some pix are posted in my gallery...although i haven't really taken any since i picked up the bike....but thats how it basically looks now....i'll get some more pix up when after in put in my led for my running light.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:10 PM

Welcome Ben, I'm new as well and love this site. Had to comment on chainstretchers HID's. Unbelievable. I will definitely get some as well. So do you have two ballasts one for each light? Wasn't sure where the other one was mounted if there is one. Does that put more strain on the battery? I've heard that HID's draw less current than the stocks. Can you confirm that?

Old 01-26-2006, 09:09 PM

welcome az cbr 1.....yes you will need 2 ballasts like you had thought. you'd have to ask chainstrecher about where he mounted the other one...my best guess would be in the exact spot but on the other side. with the HID's putting more strain on the battery.....thats a really good question...i would like to know as well.....however....i wouldn't think so b/c HID's pull less current...not sure how that affects the battery?

Old 01-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good guess Ya the other ballast is on the opposite side and the ignitors (some come combined with the ballast) are hiding under the upper fairing on each side. With both lights on the draw is about the same as just 1 standard bulb so they're easy on your system. As far as I can tell, they work like a stun gun -- lots of voltage but low power consumption.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 PM

welcome to the site. HID's are totally worth it. i have them on my f4i 9000k. i know they are running a group buy on www.protege5.com for 285 for a 6000k, 295 for 9000k, and 305 for 12000k. they are helios HIDS and got them pretty quick from the guy on there. i have a set of 8000k muccollough on my protege5 from ebay and the quality of the helios is much better. apparently they are the oem supplier for the phillips balasts so the they are good kits

chainstretches mounting points look good. i couldn't really help since the f4i has a differnet front end.

enjoy the bike and ride safe

Old 01-27-2006, 12:00 AM

Is there anywhere I can get this setup other that protege5.com. Don't really feel like becoming a member to find out info. Also, what about the running light? HID that is!

Old 01-27-2006, 01:06 AM

ok......a few more questions.....i've been looking around at other sites too....soo...it shouldn't matter if the kits is for "motorcycles" correct?....as longs as its an H7 bulb? b/c it seems that the "automotive" kits come as a better deal b/c they come with 2 bulbs.

i've also found this site:

http://www.cqlight.ca/catalog/

which seems to have kits running around $195....(i think shipping included). i'm pretty sure i'm going to go with 6000k-6500k bulb b/c i like a white beam (any other comments on temps and colors and what you've experienced? liked/disliked?). chain....what did you use to mount your ballasts and ingitors?

i know i've been asking a lot of questions...but i just want my bike to be perfect in my eyes.

thanks again cbr forum

Quick Reply: New Rider/HID question