New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New rider from Canada, eh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider from Canada, eh?

Hello everybody!

I thought I would pop over to the "newbie" section and introduce myself before I exploit all of the board's information. Briefly, my name is Dave and I'm a 24 year old M.Sc. candidate (read: research lab monkey/student) from southern Ontario.

I've been into almost anything with an engine since I left the womb, but I'm brand new to street bikes. I've got some (but minimal by comparison to many of you) experience with dirt bikes; however, I've never actually owned one myself. This passion has lead me down the path of personal watercraft, boats, and more recently, custom cars. I've linked a couple photos of my 2004 Mazda6 that I've built over the last few years. It was a hobby that quickly turned into an obsession.

Figures A and B:
Name:  5830983572_999aa2cc2f_b.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  149.4 KB
Name:  5830427941_21d3fb32c2_b.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  174.5 KB

The obsession with my car directed me to co-create and moderate a Mazda forum, 6crew.com, which I am currently still a part of. Although it's much smaller than these boards, it's a lovely community where I've met many great friends. Hopefully, I'll find it easy to settle in here, make some friends who can help me with my new-found hobby - bikes, and in time, contribute back to the community.

I've always yearned to ride someday, but school kept me busy and purchasing a bike seemed to be placed on the back burner. Well, I'm not sure exactly what clicked, but my desire took the best of me and I picked up a 2007 CBR 600RR yesterday. It was purchased privately, but appears to be very well taken care of. It's only got ~5,800km on the odometer and rides beautifully. I'm incredibly excited! Since winter is rolling in quickly, the bike has gone into storage until next spring. Below is the only picture I have of the bike right now, but I can post more up if anybody would like to see some.

Figure C:
Name:  314593_10150358576784724_512084723_8255206_71729710_n.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  97.4 KB

Anyways, if you read this post all the way to the end, I commend you. If not, don't sweat it - I likely wouldn't have either, haha.

I hope to see everyone around the boards! Cheers!

Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice pics. Nice toys. Welcome to the forum!

Motorcycles will quickly become an "obsession" for you as well, that is if you give it the attention & dedication that you give your car. ;-)

Be careful about over-compressing your front end/forks (like they look in the pic). You can rupture a fork seal & it will start leaking...which will require an immediate replacement to keep you & your bike safe. Also, get yourself a canyon-dancer to secure the front end while transporting. Canyon Dancer Inc. While not absolutely necessary, it will make things so much easier.

Good to have you w/ us!

Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Nice pics. Nice toys. Welcome to the forum!

Motorcycles will quickly become an "obsession" for you as well, that is if you give it the attention & dedication that you give your car. ;-)

Be careful about over-compressing your front end/forks (like they look in the pic). You can rupture a fork seal & it will start leaking...which will require an immediate replacement to keep you & your bike safe. Also, get yourself a canyon-dancer to secure the front end while transporting. Canyon Dancer Inc. While not absolutely necessary, it will make things so much easier.

Good to have you w/ us!
Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the input - I guess I was overly concerned with keeping the bike in one spot on the ride home. I'll definitely pick up a set of those tie-downs. There's no sign of leakage yet, but I'll certainly keep an eye on them.