New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New member and rider from MI (living in ky)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and rider from MI (living in ky)

Hey Everyone! I'm a new member and I just bought my first bike, a new 2008 cbr1000rr. I'm only 21 and this is my first street bike (yes, I know about 90% of you just cringed after reading the first two lines).

I've been riding dirtbikes (honda's of course) for about 7 years now and I've been dragracing cars since I was 15 (usually my dad's 11sec corvette). The main reason I got the bike is for the track, and after riding multiple 600's and my friends 05cbr1000 I knew I wouldn't be happy with anything less than a literbike.

It's been very cold down here, so I've only gotten to put about 75miles on the bike and so far I'm very happy with my choice of the bigger bike. I originally wanted a used bike, but the deal I got on this bike was too good for me to pass up (I bought it from Southern Honda in TN, and I am happy with the way they treated me and the price I paid, $7400)

Right now the bike is completely stock, but I plan on doing some of the more common mods eventually: frame/swingarm sliders, undertail kit, possibly a power commander, etc. (I do plan on keeping the factory exhaust though).

I don't have any riding gear yet, and I'm pretty broke at the moment so I've just been using my old motocross helmet. I have been considering buying this helmet though:
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PR...sp-matte-black
does anyone know if this is a decent helmet? Also, I tried on a similar one at the dealer and the medium felt a little too tight, but I'm worried the large was a little too big. Will the helmet padding break in at all, or should I buy the large?

I'm from MI and a mechanical engineering student from UofM - Dearborn (I have about 2 semesters left until I get my bachelors). Currently I'm living in Louisville, KY working as an engineer at General Electric. That being said, does anyone know where there are good 1/4mile tracks near louisville? I've seen a few 1/8mile, but I'm not really too interested in that.

Wow, that was a lot longer than I had originally planned on but I look forward to being a part of your forum. Below are some pics I just took, sorry for the quality my camera sucks.

-Jake

Old 02-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum ........you pretty much nailed it with respect to the cringe factor
but hey good luck to you and it is a real nice bike and quite the deal too.

An extra few bucks towards a decent Helmet might be a good decision, a Scorpion EXO or similar 'll only run ya an extra 30 - 40 bucks ..worth it IMO

Enjoy the bike man and ride & stay safe

Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice intro, Jake, and welcome to the CBRF!
That's a dam sweet machine you've got there.
Just mind your right wrist for a while, and spend some quality time getting used to her.

As far as gear goes.... I'd really reconsider wearing just a helmet. I'm sure you've seen what will happen without gear, and it's just not worth it at all. You can get armored cordura jackets pretty cheap at a few places and it's way better than nothing. Same with basic leather stuff... even better. ANd leather gloves are like $20.
On helmets, I would read up on reviews at different places and try and decide what options you really think you'd like in one. I don't think there's anything wrong with the HJC (and I have one), but if it's a matter of a few bucks and some options/fitment that's better... get what you like and what works best.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and welcome aboard Jake!
Great intro and thanx for the pics
Like kilgore said, definitely want to find a way donn more than just a helmet.
Check out www.sportbiketrackgear.com
They always have gear that's being discontinued and they want to get rid of it so they discount the living hell out of it.
I bought my new helmet, a Scorpioin EXO-700 Burst $118 delivered,couldnt beat that price anywhere.
Anyway, good luck,have fun & enjoy the forum

Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Sorry if I misled you but I definitely plan on getting some proper riding gear soon, I was just wanting some more info on selecting a helmet. Thanks for the link and the advice on the EXO helmets, I'm probably going to be buying the EXO-700 or 400 as soon as I can pick out a color.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM

Hey man nice intro. Nice bike too! Im from the Cincinnati area and there is a track pretty close to my house...Can hear them running in the summer!!! Here's a link (idk how far you were willing to go for a track but its a decent place IMO) http://www.edgewaterrace.com/ <<< should tell you what you need to know. Also go with the Scorpion EXO I have the raider and I love it....Congrats and Ride Safe!

Old 02-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by K7inne09
Hey man nice intro. Nice bike too! Im from the Cincinnati area and there is a track pretty close to my house...Can hear them running in the summer!!! Here's a link (idk how far you were willing to go for a track but its a decent place IMO) http://www.edgewaterrace.com/ <<< should tell you what you need to know. Also go with the Scorpion EXO I have the raider and I love it....Congrats and Ride Safe!
Thanks K7inne. It looks like the track's about 2hrs from my place in louisville, so I'm hoping after a little more searching I'll be able to find something a little closer than that.

Yeah, I just ordered the EXO-700 in Rivet Matte Silver for $110 from sportbike track gear. Hopefully it comes soon, my motocross helmet is just way to cold and loud.

-jake

Old 02-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgpowers
Thanks K7inne. It looks like the track's about 2hrs from my place in louisville, so I'm hoping after a little more searching I'll be able to find something a little closer than that.

Yeah, I just ordered the EXO-700 in Rivet Matte Silver for $110 from sportbike track gear. Hopefully it comes soon, my motocross helmet is just way to cold and loud.

-jake
Cool!
You'll probably get it today or tomorrow....I got mine the next day