New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New member - check out my bike !

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - check out my bike !

How's it going? I recently came across this forum and decided to join up. I'm 20 years old and about a year ago I purchased my first bike: a beat up, fairing-less 1996 CBR f3 with 18,000 miles. I rode the bike in the condition I bought it (horrible) for about 1,000 miles and once the winter hit and after long thought and consideration, I mapped out a rebuild project.
I have always been a big fan of the repsol style honda bike since the first time I saw a 2007 CBR1000 Repsol. It is the most amazing looking sportsbike in my opinion and since then I developed a pretty strong passion for them and honda bikes in general.
I figured out a way to incorporate the repsol look, but also keep a slightly custom appearance. I decided on Hong Kong plastics mainly because the price and some of the reviews I read about a particular seller of these fairings. There was two Repsol style's available and I decided on the more "retro" version, keeping in mind I was rebuilding a bike from 1996.
So with the bike completely stripped down, tank and all I began. I disconnected the headers and exhaust, wrapping it and painting it black. Followed I replaced front and rear tires; the rear tire is a Michelin Pilot Pro. I replaced both throttle cables, clutch cable, and brake cables. I replaced both hand grips. The front fairing stay was completely smashed and bent at a 110 degree angle to the left so I replaced this entirely. The headlight was in good condition so I need not replace that. The meter gauge has 2 broken tabs and will be eventually replaced but I am holding off for now, as I might just install/swap a F4I digital gauge cluster and custom bracket. I will decide on that later.
The regulator/rectifier fried after my initial 1,000 miles; it slowly started decreasing in ability to maintain voltage even at idle. So I replaced this with an aftermarket rectifier backed by a 3 year warranty. I cleaned the carbs extensively and replaced fuel lines. I installed a tail light assembly with integrated turn signals. I rigged up a custom license plate holder, tucked underneath the tail. I stripped the terrible looking yellow paint job with green flames and skulls the whole way down to the metal on the gas tank, and then primer sprayed it twice and that's how it stands now until i'm ready to paint and clear coat. I also installed a new battery and terminals.
Once the above was complete, I started the fairing install. I ordered a full fairing bolt kit model-specific that were painted gloss black on the visible heads. The fairings went fairly smooth, with lots of tugging and custom fitting with the help of a few buddies. The kit came with a gas tank cover painted all orange with the black stripes and honda logo, however I don't like the fitment, it is very bulky, and the orange is slightly off from the orange on the rest of the fairings. From hear I had a few options and decided that I would just paint my tank to allow for a better fit and look. At first I was going to just copy the tank cover as a template but then I started thinking and decided I would add a custom feel to the gas tank. I am going to paint it gloss black which will hopefully set everything off pretty nice, and once that is on I will decide on adding orange honda decals for the side of the tank, and then clearcoating over everything. Also, the idiot previous owner of the bike decide to chop some of the rear frame because he "was contemplating making a streetfighter" but then decided not to and just sell it after he already screwed it up. So due to his incompetence I am still in the process of rigging something to further stabilize the rear fairings to the frame, as I am missing a crucial tab/screw hole that was on the piece of the frame that he chopped..
Winter Break ended and I had to return to school so the rebuild is on hold until Spring Break, about 2 and a half weeks away. I'd say the bike is about 90% finished as it stands today. I've received a few, small goodies in the mail that I ordered a while ago, these mods are in my possession but still need to be installed come Spring Break:
  • Frame Sliders
  • Flush Mount Front Turn Signals
  • TapeWorkz Reflective Orange Wheelstripes
  • Bar End Sliders

Now, enough with the novel, I apologize. On to the pictures. I will try to label the pictures to give you an idea of how it fits in to the rebuild timeline. Again, the bike is not complete I still have a few minor things to do.

Here is a short description of the pictures in the order that they are viewed:
  • First day I bought the bike, so ugly but so much potential. The yoshimura can was included.
  • After the first 1,000 miles of riding. At this point I added a windscreen, mirrors, new cables and new rectifier.
  • Bike all stripped down, ready for fairings. Right side/Front view.
  • Stripped down. Left side/Front view.
  • Stripped down. Front view.
  • Most of the fairings prior to install.
  • Quick retro fit. Front fairings are fastened, the side fairings are only partially fastened. Gas tank cover sitting on top just for reference.
  • Upper/Lower front and side fairings are completely fastened. Rear fairing is partially fastened. This is before I raised my tail light assembly about an inch and a half for a more flush fit. My buddy is just holding the tail section together for the photo-op. The gas tank is set in position and currently has 2 layers of flat black Primer. I will soon spray it gloss black, I think it is going to look pretty sick.
  • View from the right/front. The bike stands in the same condition as the previous picture.

I hope you enjoy, thank you for your time. Please post any comments or suggestions.

-Sean

Attached Thumbnails New member - check out my bike !-440705778_1533281859_0.jpg   New member - check out my bike !-494964507_1738973601_0.jpg   New member - check out my bike !-494961575_1738962423_0.jpg   New member - check out my bike !-494962967_1738967669_0.jpg   New member - check out my bike !-494962706_1738966693_0.jpg  

Old 02-14-2010, 05:52 PM

----

Attached Thumbnails New member - check out my bike !-494961907_1738963654_0.jpg   New member - check out my bike !-494962259_1738964983_0.jpg   New member - check out my bike !-494959717_1738955210_0.jpg   New member - check out my bike !-494960764_1738959267_0.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

nice work! looks like a rewarding project.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That bike is a credit to you alright man.......well done ........looks real good

Old 02-14-2010, 11:37 PM

Nice bike and nice intro, welcome, I'm new also...