New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new member from arkansas

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member from arkansas

Hey! I am just starting out and want to learn how to ride. I've looked at a lot of bikes and really like the CBR, but I don't know anyone with one! So I am on this forum to learn more and meet people.

Shonna

Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board! Do you have a bike yet?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Banned

Welcome to CBRF Shonna!! You can't go wrong with a Honda and all of the CBRs are great bikes. Since you have no experience, I would strongly recommend a smaller displacement bike to start out on. You have plenty of time to work your way up to bigger bikes and will get infinitely more enjoyment out of them when are competent enough to take full advantage of what they have to offer without scaring yourself silly.

Pity Honda doesn't market the CBR250 here in the states, because that would be the perfect starter bike for you. If you want to stick with a Honda sport bike, I would look for an older 600, an F2 or F3 in good condition as your first bike. They don't have as much horsepower as a new 600RR and the throttle response isn't quite as quick, giving you a little more margin for error, but still have plenty of get up and go.

Another thing to look into is taking some sort of motorcycle safety course and getting some decent riding gear. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 AM

Welcome Shonna!

I recommend taking your time and finding your comfort level. Take a MSF course you'll learn all the basics and safety maneuvers. Don't let anyone rush you into doing anything you don't want to do. This is a venture that YOU need to dictate the pace.
Research and be careful and you should be just fine!

Good luck! and happy riding!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks guys! I have not bought a bike yet.. right now I am still in school but in a year I am going to graduate and easily be able to afford it but I am wanting to learn. I have a little bit of free time and my friends all have suzuki and yamaha but I am not really into those, but it will do to learn! I want a small bike but I think I can handle the 600RR, at least we will see!
I don't know of any MSF courses around here. I think they have some in Jonesboro, but that's about 3 hours from me. If I get a chance I may go ahead and do it next semester. Thanks for the help!

Old 11-13-2009, 10:37 PM

Hey Shonna. Where in Arkansas are u located? I'm in Memphis and I know of about two msf courses around here. I'd also be willing meet up with you somewhere and share some riding tips with ya if you'd like to help prepare you for your future in riding.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shonna
Thanks guys! I have not bought a bike yet.. right now I am still in school but in a year I am going to graduate and easily be able to afford it but I am wanting to learn. I have a little bit of free time and my friends all have suzuki and yamaha but I am not really into those, but it will do to learn! I want a small bike but I think I can handle the 600RR, at least we will see!
I don't know of any MSF courses around here. I think they have some in Jonesboro, but that's about 3 hours from me. If I get a chance I may go ahead and do it next semester. Thanks for the help!
The MSF I took used 250cc 'cruisers' for the training. Good bikes for people with 0 experience, tho they had been knocked about a bit. I had a mild issue with them however: my *** hurt 5 minutes after getting on them. Any time I stopped I had to stand up. It's a different riding position than our bikes. The first few laps about were me adjusting the bike. And I never fully adjusted as the instructor kept yelling at me that it wasn't my CBR (kept trying to tuck in and was leaning further than he liked)

Based on what you said, I'd make it a weekend trip or something to take your MSF. Go spend the weekend in a city where it's offered. The course is well worth the investment

Old 11-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Thanks.. I started thinking about what you guys have said and researching it all and I want to be tough but I am pretty little! So I began looking up bikes and actually found one for sale from an MSF instructor. He gave me a bunch of information and I might actually be able to do a course next weekend and he is selling his wife's starter bike, 2005 Suzuki GZ 250. I'm going to look at it tomorrow, I am so excited! If anyone is in Arkansas and wants to ride with a beginner, I'm game! ... Before I buy this bike, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say, if its worth it or not: its been dropped a few times, has 5500 miles, is mechanically strong, has had brakes and mirrors recently replaced.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 PM

o yeah price... $1100

Quick Reply: new member from arkansas