New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New from Louisiana with pic of my bike.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from Louisiana with pic of my bike.

Just purchased my first motorcycle. Never rode a bike in my entire life. Im 33 years old. My wife left me about 6 months ago and I decided to give riding a try. It was something I was always interested in but my wife never approved of me doing. I didn't start with a beginner bike. I know some may not approve. Im taking it slow. It scares me to much to go crazy. Planning on doing a riders safety course just to get some of the basics down. I purchased a 2004 CBR600RR. It only had 2300 miles on it. A lady owned it and hardly ever rode it.

Here is a pic:

Name:  IMG_1478.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  157.5 KB

Old 12-19-2010, 07:13 AM

Looks brand new. I love the frame sliders. I already dropped it once on a 5 mph left hand turn. I went to slow in first gear and the engine died. I didn't pull clutch in fast enough and over she went. Felt like such a noob. Frame sliders saved me from a lot of damage. I drive a manual transmission car(2008 STI). I know better than to do that but bikes are so different.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:57 AM

Welcome LSU. Sorry to hear about the woman problems. Do you have any old naked photos of her? Feel free to PM those to me.

As for the bike CONGRATS first off - it will be a life changing (for the better) decision you made to get the bike. If you can I might hold off on riding aside from the neighborhood / parking lots until you have taken that MSF class.

The MSF class will make sure you get the basics down - like taking slow left hand turns - and you won't be on your bike. If you drop one of theirs during the practice rounds, not the end of the world. Spare that nice looking CBR.

And make sure you have and wear your gear. Good gear is cheaper than a skin graph.
Gloves / Boots / Helmet / Jacket - at least. I wear Kevlar jeans most of the time too.

So welcome! she looks great. Sounds like you made a good find and practice, stay safe, take it slow and take the MSF class ASAP.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the CBR Forum!!! When you buy a used bike you need to also change all the fluids.

+1 on the MSF!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Her husband claimed to change the oil. When im brave enough to drive it to my local shop, i'll bring it in and let them look it over.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by LSUFAN
Her husband claimed to change the oil. When im brave enough to drive it to my local shop, i'll bring it in and let them look it over.
Haha he also claimed that his wife is the one that drove it!

Well be safe! MSF MSF MSF

Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSUFAN
All Fluids, brakes and clutch too.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good deal man .......doing what you need to do ...... ! Nice bike and a nice find by the
sounds of it too (Lady owner and all) ...... I'd take it to the nearest shop and have them
give it the "once over" but I reckon she's in pretty good shape ....but worth checking all
the same .

2 things ........ take basic training aka MSF

....................get some good gear , helmet , jacket , gloves, boots , pants.

Good having you here , enjoy the Forum ....... you can never ask too many ???? 's

Old 12-19-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
All Fluids, brakes and clutch too.
How much money should that set me back? Just wondering. Never really thought about maintenance cost.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 PM

All fluid change - maybe 150 bucks? Not too expensive, however you don't have to have them performed very often.

And are fairly simple to do yourself for the most part.

Quick Reply: New from Louisiana with pic of my bike.