New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New guy from South Africa

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from South Africa

Hi All..
I'm from sunny south africa, and Just bought myself a 1998 CBR900RR

Got it for what I would say not a bad price. But I got some issues to sort out, like it wont start of the starter in the morning, I've got to push start it, what I have noticed though is that if I take the battery out and charge it for an hour or so in the morning, and while push starting and i press the start button while releasing the clutch, it seems to start easier that way.

Also once the bike starts, If I want to pull the choke just to get the idling up a bit, the choke kills the motor, not sure if this is contributing to the hard start, bike shops around here have different oppinions, some say I should redo the valves, others say, these motor where built quite well and they dont easily drop a valve, or need shimming or so on...

I'm thinking about starting by the easy stuff which you should be doing when buying a new car or bike in anycase like replacing all 4 plugs, but maybe with the hotter CR8EH9 plugs, and also replacing the battery, If this doesnt help start the bike quicker, I'm thinking of installing a temporary cut of valve directly on the fuel line, as I'm thinking that maybe the petcock valve doesnt seal of nicely and when in the off position the fuel passes through flooding the carbs as there is quite a fuel smell when it doesnt want to start

I guess only time will tell, I have only bought it just less than a week ago.. but Im sure Ill find some answers here on the forum once I start searching.

Looking forward in browsing the forum and getting to know you all

Old 09-28-2016, 06:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!

How's your starter solenoid? That could be why you're having to bump start the bike.

If the choke is killing the bike, it's usually a carb issue... Improper jetting or mixture screw settings, etc.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastiaan
... If I want to pull the choke just to get the idling up a bit, the choke kills the motor ...
i'd be getting those carbs apart, but it also could be that it's too warm and you don't need any choke.

But I got some issues to sort out, like it wont start of the starter in the morning
weak battery, loose connection or ground, or burned out solenoid. if you jump right over the two large terminals of the starter solenoid with a good hunk of wire, and it cranks perfectly fine, then your solenoid is faulty

Old 09-29-2016, 03:50 PM

Thanks guys, I will check those things out, I did notice today when I let the bike idle this morning, that If i pull the choke out slowly, then the revs will slightly drop, but gradually start pickking up .. So the carb are sure a must to clean and reset...

I havent tested the starter solenoid yet, but pressing the start button does turn the motor, just doesnt sound as if its getting propper spark .. but swinging the motor with the start button while pushing seems to get the motor going very quickly...

So in my mind it doesnt quite make sense that the valves need to be redone.. Wouldnt it strugle just as much to push start if the valve were messed up???