New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

new guy from MA, (don't own a CBR yet though haha)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy from MA, (don't own a CBR yet though haha)

Alright well here is the deal, after wanting to ride ever since i had my license, i finally decided to give it a shot. I got my permit and will be going for my MSF course next month. I also got an insurance quote for an 02 CBR600 of 821$ full coverage.

Now how wise am i to start riding on a 600, and how wise am i to buy an 02 with low miles? I pick up these things easily, driving stick, ice skating, roller blading, skying etc etc, rather quickly so i have no doubt i can pick up riding in no time and SAFELY.

Been driving stick for 6years now, haven't had any accidents that were my fault (except for black ice).

Whats the one thing i should look out for (besides falling lol) as a new rider and learning on a 600?

I hope to learn from this thread, every person i teach how to drive stick i always give out 3 rules. I plan on using these to teach myself how to ride after i take the MSF course

1 Don't hesitate.
2 Don't be nervous
3 If your going to do something just do it, don't think and just relax

I'll be practicing in my parking lot, late at night around my neighborhood, and going to a friends house 15mi away late afternoon/night time. I want to completely get used to it and be comfortable before taking it to work or riding on weekends.

Any tips/comments/critiques are all welcome, I'm a mechanic full time so fixing and maintaining the bike will be easy, i also have photography as a hobby so some very beautiful pics will be up once i get it.

Thanks for the help guys,

Vic from MA

Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 PM
LUk
Default RE: new guy from MA, (don't own a CBR yet though haha)

practice practice practice.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 PM

Oh i plan too, and i will always be wearing my helmet/gloves/boots/jacket no matter how hot.

Am i foolish to think that a 5'7 and 140lbs i shouldn't start on a 600? Id get so bored of a 250 just how i got bored of my first car after 2 month.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Just take it easy. You can start out on a 600 just fine. Know your limits (and stay within them!!) and practice.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks guys, im a bit nervous since the bike is in very good condition, i know i shouldn't be so im going to try not to be.

Are the rear brake and gear change levers hard to reach? I've been looking at pictures ( i haven't sat on one yet but i love the bike) and they seem hard to reach, i wear a size 10-11 shoe/boot.

I appreciate all the help, anyone else want to chime in with tips or tricks please do. Turning, stopping, starting, the basics

Old 07-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You seems to be very confident and knowledgeable too. I can't see any problem you handling the 600. Practicing in your backyard won't help much I guess. Just take it steady with your pace and increase it gradually once your confidence build up.

The most major mistakes from a newcomers I had heard is overspeed in twisties and crashin. Mastering in twisties takes times where you have to control your speed, body position, bike angles and brakes all at same time.

Good luck!!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Thanks man really appreciate that, well its not a back yard its an actual parking lot (my dad is the priest, its the church so its my playground haha).

It took me a while to master heel-toe on a car so i figured this would take me a while as well.

I don't even know how to turn yet but i'm already thinking about it haha. Highways scare me a bit but like i said, i plan on riding to a friends house around 7-8ish with less traffic and usually coming back around 1-2 so it should be good practice.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:43 PM

just practice and always respect the bike becuase if you dont it will turn around and bite you. but im glad you are being smart about it. good luck and im sure you will be fine if you just take ur time

Old 07-18-2007, 12:48 AM

I'll say what I always say...start out with something less aggressive then upgrade when ready.
You sound like a smart guy -- get your feet wet on something else.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 AM

Thats kind of the problem, i can't really afford to buy a used Ninja 250 or 500, register/insure/inspect/title/taxes then get bored of it after a month, stuck with a loan for that 500 then try and take out another for the 600, if you get what i'm saying.

I dont have any "money trees" in my backyard lol, a friend of mine started out on a 600 and another friend of mine actually started out on an RSV Mille haha, don't ask me how he managed i have no idea.

But i will respect the bike for sure, its all about confidence, practice, and respect.

Quick Reply: new guy from MA, (don't own a CBR yet though haha)