New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Guy Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a nice lookin f4 you got there! and Look up boyo I know hes in MD but I think hes out in the bush, he still knows a ton about the bike and between him and the res of CBRF you wont have to go to the shop for much!!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Thats a nice lookin f4 you got there! and Look up boyo I know hes in MD but I think hes out in the bush, he still knows a ton about the bike and between him and the res of CBRF you wont have to go to the shop for much!!
I may start to look at working on it myself after I have some miles under my belt. I REALLY REALLY just want to ride it. I got about an hour in yesterday. I was just doing laps around the block and practiced starting and stopping at intersections. Didn't get higher than second gear but I was still grinning like a kid. I can't do much more until I get the new tires on and a license plate.

Also, with the light switch in the up position, is that supposed to be the brights? And is down the low beam? Since those are the only two positions, does that mean that the headlight is always on? With the switch in the up position, I have no light at all but I do have light in the down position. I think there is an HID kit of sorts on my bike and it looks like a little piece near the bulb is broken. It may have been the high beam part. What size bulb do I need?

Thanks for everyone's input!

Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M1ke
...with the light switch in the up position, is that supposed to be the brights? And is down the low beam?
Yes.

Since those are the only two positions, does that mean that the headlight is always on?
Yes.

With the switch in the up position, I have no light at all but I do have light in the down position. I think there is an HID kit of sorts on my bike and it looks like a little piece near the bulb is broken. It may have been the high beam part.
If your headlight bulb is stock/oem, then yes, you're high beam is out & you need to replace the bulb.

What size bulb do I need?
I replaced my OEM bulb w/a CandlePower [www.candlepowerinc.com] Premium Plus Halogen H4 bulb. Its a great value at $8 & significantly increases visability over the OEM bulb. Its white light & really projects much better than the stock bulb. I'm very happy w/ its performance. Many bike shops [some automotive stores] stock CandlePower as a standard replacement bulb.

Complete Spec (as seen in pic): H4 12V 60/55W P43T-38 E R37 4720BLB

Name:  P1030898-1.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  33.5 KB

Old 09-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
I replaced my OEM bulb w/a CandlePower [www.candlepowerinc.com] Premium Plus Halogen H4 bulb. Its a great value at $8 & significantly increases visability over the OEM bulb. Its white light & really projects much better than the stock bulb. I'm very happy w/ its performance. Many bike shops [some automotive stores] stock CandlePower as a standard replacement bulb.

Complete Spec (as seen in pic): H4 12V 60/55W P43T-38 E R37 4720BLB
Thanks. I'll take a picture of the front and back of the bulb to confirm if it is the original size/form factor. And I also need to get an owners manual soon. I've seen a few on ebay but they are $35. I already have a digital copy of the repair manual.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have links in the F4 section for the downloadable pdf of the F4 factory Honda service manual. Its really all you need.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

Thanks. I'll take a picture of the front and back of the bulb to confirm if it is the original size/form factor. And I also need to get an owners manual soon. I've seen a few on ebay but they are $35. I already have a digital copy of the repair manual.
If you need an owners manual, try looking here
Prices may be a little better than Fleabay

Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by montana.matt
If you need an owners manual, try looking here
Prices may be a little better than Fleabay
for model year 1999, that website calls it a cbr400f4i for the owners manual...

Old 09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

for model year 1999, that website calls it a cbr400f4i for the owners manual...
Send them an email and ask if it's a typo... Or buy the more expensive one off ebay...
Just trying to help you out

Old 09-07-2012, 03:49 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Being new owners, I'll suggest you take it slowly...don't start buying everything out of sequence. Slow down, write down your plans, get the bike road worthy first. License & registration, plates, headlights....then you dump money in luxury mods. This way you won't hit any speed bumbs and have cash flow stuck on a part....

Old 09-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Being new owners, I'll suggest you take it slowly...don't start buying everything out of sequence. Slow down, write down your plans, get the bike road worthy first. License & registration, plates, headlights....then you dump money in luxury mods. This way you won't hit any speed bumbs and have cash flow stuck on a part....
Absolutely. Tires are a must have because the ones on there are old and cracking. That plus chain cleaning kit and spark plugs is all I've ordered so far. Im not getting anything else until the inspection which happens next week hopefully. For now I'm just taking it slow for an hour at a time around the block. I adjusted the clutch lever because it had too much slack for my taste.

So here are pictures of the head light. Is this stock form factor (H4) or not?
Name:  2012-09-07_17-11-12_802.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  141.3 KB

The brown and black wires from the first picture go to the broken piece I think.
Name:  2012-09-07_17-11-32_61.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  172.3 KB
Name:  2012-09-07_17-13-41_561.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  207.0 KB

Also, which rear shock setting is stock. Currently it is in the middle of the three positions. I'm assuming this isn't a stock piece?
Name:  2012-09-07_17-43-52_125.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  145.9 KB

Thanks