New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy

Hey everybody, my name's Andy and I just signed up here. Seriously considering getting a CBR600F4i as my first road bike in a month or so, so I figure it's a good idea to read up on them. I've been riding quads and dirt bikes on and off my whole life and I'm looking forward to taking things to the road in a legal way.

Just out of curiosity I'm 6'3" and I was wondering if any of the taller guys like me have a 600...I'm a little worried it'll get extremely uncomfortable after 30 mins of riding. I've sat on the 600 and I thought I fit like a glove but I've had things like that before that didn't work out as great. I'll sitting on a lot of bikes once spring break comes up and I go home just trying to get a little input on that...

Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board Andy! I'm 6' even at 185# and honestly no sportbike is real comfortable ... some are just better than others at not turning you into a pretzel. The F4i seems to be a more relaxed kind of seating position as compared to some of the more radical bikes but I haven't ridden one for any distance.

Good luck finding a bike and be sure to post up pics when you get one. Also, a MSF course is a wonderful thing! Will make you think better on the road and can lower your insurance depending on your state.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the welcomes and all those links!

I'm planning on taking one of those MSF classes at some point but they get all booked up for the year within 5 mins of being able to register around here...hopefully I can get lucky one of these years...

Old 01-31-2009, 12:10 PM

Hey Andy,

I am 6'4" and 240lbs and I have a 600rr. I also live only a few of hours away from you, so if I still have a street bike when spring hits maybe I could head down that way.

As far as getting a 600 as you now know, I am a big guy and I have one. It carries me, and my girlfriend, just fine. I normally ride alone because it's more comfy. I think you'll be happy with a 600 at first. As long as you're careful you can start on almost, i repeat almost, any size bike.

Now, if you want to buy mine it's in the for sale section as of a half hour ago

see ya on the forum,

hawk

Old 01-31-2009, 12:42 PM

Yeah I'm a pretty careful guy and have pretty good self control so I'm not too worried about the size of the bike for starting out...mostly the price because I know at some point I'm going to be on the ground. I'll check out your ad here in a couple mins but it'll probably be too much seeings how it's an '06

Old 02-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello & welcome Andy!
First road bike? Be sure to take the MSF course to get youself started,It'll work wonders for you once you get on the street.
The F4i is a good bike to get started on for a guy like yourself,sounds like you don't have that "I've got to pin it everywhere" mentality.
Don't be afraid of your size on the F4i. it'll fit U just fine

Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Yeah as much as I'd love to hammer on it every chance I get like I did my quads and stuff you just gotta respect the power to weight ratio of these things.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 AM

Hi Andy, I am new to this site too.The F4i are great bikes (like all hondas). A 600 is fine for you with your height and Honda seems to me to have the best riding positioning for taller people if you are looking for comfort. The seats on the newer bikes are not comfortable though so you may want to look at an older cbr like the f3's. I could ride almost all day and be comfy on those seats. The new bikes definetely have superior braking and cornering abilities not to mention the weight difference. Its all a matter of what you will be doing on the bike really. Ride safe.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Default Welcome

+3 on the MSC, dirt bikes and quads are two completely different beasts. And yes I haven't been riding as long as many others on this forum but my experience has shown me one thing, there are two kind of riders in the sport bike world. Rider type number one is a rider who has not been riding that long or very - very lucky but will some day. Rider type number two is a rider who has gone done. Inexperience is genuinely the cause and then the safe rider who hits loose gravel or something to that effect in the middle of a curve which is almost unavoidable. I think you should ride with full gear at all times and take a course. As for the F4i, its a great bike, requires a lot of respect, and remember the bike has no limitations but you do. I'm rider number two myself, I went down at 120 mph coming out of a long easy curve on the freeway (a loop from on freeway to another) when I hit loose gravel from a truck or something at 1230 am, I never seen it and slide across 4 lanes of freeway, a grass median, one curb, two freeway feeder lanes into the other curb, then slide down the curb about another 60 ft or so and finally stop in the middle of a normally very busy intersection. BTW for those of you familiar with Houston this was I-610 south and I-45 south. I walked away with minor bruises, a few scratches and three broke fingers. I had full gear on and due to the time of my accident there was no traffic or I probably would not be typing this up. One last thing I have been riding street for ten years now, and I like you started on dirt bikes at age 7. I have someone watching over me apparently. Take that course and be safe.