New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

The new guy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new guy!

Would like to go from this to
Hello everybody I am Brian from Detroit live in Kentucky. I have acquired a new toy it is a CBR900RR from 1994 it is my 5th bike that I currently have right now. I can do quite a bit a wrenching but never a wire guy! so the thing with the bike is that the wiring has a switch wired into it all kinds of different things because the bike was stolen! I acquired it through a LEGAL purchase. my question to everybody? Is what are the Bare Essentials for this bike to have to run? like for example my 2001 Polaris Predator 90 2-stroke build had to have a CDI box a ratifier and some other things and that is it no lights no key ignition nothing no BS so on this CBR 900 RR 1994 what are the Bare Essentials to have it running I have the bike running now but would like to minimize this wiring harness down to its smallest form wiring a switch to start and to shut to off. I'm going to take the bike and build some what of a Streetfighter bobber style bike I haven't really decided on the seat thing yet I'm kind of picky in that area. But the bike is down to basically a frame wiring no fairings it is pretty well stripped we just wires hanging out of it so I have a little bit of work to do the Fab work I can do myself but like I said earlier not a wire guy so if anybody can help point me in the right direction would be much appreciated To this. Just no cafe

Old 01-06-2018, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum, have a look here
https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/

Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a PDF of how the wires are supposed to be wired then do all new wires to the things I have to have..... Or is there a faster way....
like to go nuts and do reset fuses and on for power and button for start .how hard is it really to do?

Old 01-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, you probably want to start with a wiring diagram. They should have one in the shop manual, so if they don't have one on the forum you might need to google one

As for the specific modifications, I don't know those bikes, but so long as it's carbureted, you should be able to hack it up a bit. Common sense would say that lights and signals will be low-hanging fruit. Push-button start is generally easy, so long as the bike doesn't have any fancy anti-theft systems. Don't forget the neutral switch and sidestand switch (if equipped). Approach anything else with caution, especially the ignition system, electric fan, fuel pump (if equipped), brake light, and engine shutoff

Bottom line if you're not a wiring guy I'd advise caution, or at least a bit of serious research before trying to rewire it yourself from scratch. Honestly for your situation I'd probably just pick up a new harness online and start from there, but if it's just for roaming around offroad, by all means snip away

Hope that helps. Looks like fun