New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New forum member, having headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New forum member, having headlight problem

Hey,
Im Michael, I am new to the forum. I just bought my first bike since 2007. I now have a CBR f4. My headlight isnt working, I tried a new bulb, I checked the fuses and they are all good. Checked the switch and the connections look good. NEXT STEP????

Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, you can always write in the F4 section tech help. The guys there are very friendly and very helpful. Just try to give as much information as possible so they can try and give there best advice.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM

does it make any kind of sound when you turn the bike on or when you switch to high and low beam? also make sure all of the headlight connections are solid and clean because sometimes they get dirt in them and it wont make the current go through

Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a multi-meter? Even an in-expensive one will serve and it's really
a "must have" tool. My current favorite is an Extech EX430, picked it up for $70.
It's not the cheapest out there, but it will do everything you'll ever want in a quality
build. Here's a link if you're curious....

EX430 - 11 Function True RMS Professional MultiMeter

With a multi-meter, you can pull the head-light plug(s) and check for hot at the
connecton. Set the meter for 12 volt DC range (0-50 volt is common for this setting).
With the key ON, put the black probe on a good ground (engine, etc) and check the
terminals in the plug, each in turn. I don't know for sure how the f4i is wired, but it
should be a 2 or 3 prong connection. One is the ground (probably either green or
black), it won't show current. The other one (or 2) should show voltage. One on low,
one on high beam. If not trace the offending wire to the next point in the harness,
and test there. Keep following the path, till you find where the current is good.
Replace/repair, whatever is wrong between those last points.

How did you determine that the bulb and fuses are good? A visual inspection is NOT a
reliable method. Check for continuity with your mulit-meter or replace with a KNOWN
good part. Bulbs and fuses can fail without showing any visable signs. You can also
check switches for continuity to assure operation, as well. Put the probe on each side
of the switch and see if it makes/breaks continuity, as you operate the switch.

Hope this gives you some direction, Ern

Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 AM

I actually put a new bulb in and also a new fuse. Took it to a mech friend. There was no power to the plug at all. The little dealership I bought it from said to bring it in and they would fix it for free. After a little a$$ chewing of course lol