New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New CBR Forum member here

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CBR Forum member here

Hello fellow CBR Forum members!

My name is Justin, I am 24yrs old and I am located in Washington, PA(22miles south of Pittsburgh, PA)...let me know if you are in my area and are looking to ride in the near future. My day job is a small business (Intriguing Reptiles) that I own and operate in which I work with/breed high end, exotic snakes. The reptiles keep me very busy for the majority of my days, however I also do a little custom tuning here and there(either on the local dyno at our speed shop or here with my laptop, Autotap, an LM1 wideband and LTx/LSx Edit software for GM LS1/6 and LT1/4 powered vehicles(usually do this for the camaro board members or local buddies).

I just purchased a beautiful `01 CBR 929 from a guy in Ohio via Ebay(I took a chance and got lucky so far), but I won't have it in my possession till July 6th.(Forward Air was not able to get me a container until July 5th). So I figured that for the time being I would join up in all the related forums, introduce myself(and my new toy), read up on as much info as I can and make some new friends. The bike is yellow/black(but not stock yellow/black. It was repainted a slightly different shade of yellow.) and comes with Full Micron Exhaust system, K&N filter, a ram air setup(looks like a DIY job from the pics, but very nice)...as well as polished rims with centers painted black, and some other misc. cosmetic items that all add up to making it look nice(except for the stickers they have all over it...those will be coming off ASAP). I am getting ready to place my first order of performance parts/extras tomorrow for my new toy so that they will be here waiting for the bike when it arrives in 2 weeks. Hopefully this bike will be able to at least hang with the car for a few seconds, HaHa. My first order(s) will include a PCIIIr, GPR Damper(I know most hondas do fine without them, but you can't have too much of anyting as far as I am concerned), a corbin seat, rear seat cowl(gf won't ride on the back) and some frame sliders. I attached some pictures of the bike that was taken by the other owner(as well as I am using one for the Avatar). Ill post my own as soon as I have them.

I am also a hardcore car guy and have one hell of car also: It's a 383ci, ProCharged(F1), Nitrous Injected, Stroker LT1 Trans Am. It turned into a track car only after this past winters buildup so that's one of the main reasons I needed a bike(currenly don't/didn't have anyting fast for the street) and it was starting to drive me crazy. It was time for something new anyhow. The 929 is my first street bike, but not my first time riding bikes or street bikes. I grew up riding minibikes when I was 7 and eventually worked my way up to a CR60, then CR80(2 of them), then CR125 and of course a CR250). I then became a trader for a year or so and switched to suzuki quads :-/ when I was ~15(getting ready for cars I guess, lol). Anyhow now days I am the only one of my buddies that didn't have a streetbike(mainly because I put the majority of my cash into the Trans Am project(s)) so I figured it was finally time to join them and get my own instead of using their bikes all the time and that's how I ended up purchasing the bike 2 days ago. Ok well that about covers my small book of an introduction. Thanks in advance to all that reply back and I look forward to seeing you all on the streets! BTW...Don't worry the car isn't street legal anymore so you don't have to worry about that one [sm=smiley16.gif] Later!

Justin

Old 06-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Default RE: New CBR Forum member here

Welcome to the Board!! I am sure you will enjoy the site and your bike sounds sweet. I live in N.California so we probally will not be riding together anytime soon..
Anyway, Welcome and have fun!

Old 06-22-2005, 07:05 PM

Sirlimpzalot,

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yeah sounds like we won't be seeing each other anytime soon. Oh well...enjoy the ride anyhow. That's what it's all about! Take care. Later!

Justin

Old 06-22-2005, 07:38 PM

Hi Justin,
Welcome to the boards. Congrats on the bike. Don't forget about wearing your gear. I know you said you have ridden before, but I would take a MSF class, even if it's just for a refresher. The bike looks sweet. The only thing I would be concerned about is why it was repainted. Did it go down? Hopefully the bike can get to you quick. I know what it's like to wait on a new toy. Now I want to see some pics of the car. It sounds bad ***. What are you running in the 1/4 and how much hp are you pushing? [8D]

Old 06-22-2005, 08:45 PM

NeonspeedRT,

....Don't worry I am redoing my website for the car and now the bike also so it will all be posted to the web sometime in the near future(I had the car up before on a freewebs site, but I the site needed updating...which I am trying to do here and there when I have time to spare but hosting it from my reptile site). I am pretty well known on the camaro boards for the car and I don't think anyone has ever had anything bad to say about it to say the least. Car has not been to the track this season...yet but I will be depressed with anything less then 146mph this time around and was hoping to be in the 148mph range(with estimated times ~9.30s-9.40s if traction and my rear end permits) Last year it managed a best of 10.27@137mph run and that was with some traction problems(as you can probably tell), 2psi less and no nitrous. So it will be interesting to see what it runs this time around. I run at Keystone here in PA and can be found up there occasionally when my projects are running, LOL. Sometimes I go up there just to offer on-the-spot tuning for fellow GM cars. A buddy with a very similar setup just ran a 9.51@146mph(running 1 psi less then my new setup with a YStrim blower and a heavier crank in his block, but was on 125shot at that time). I ran into some issues over this winters build as far as tuning the car goes and that's why it hasn't been to the track yet. I am kind of excited though cause now when I do take the car to the track...I will also be able to take the bike Will be interesting to say the least. Problem for the moment is that I am waiting on my new FAST system to arrive for it cause the stock PCM didn't allow me to tune it as needed for my application(pcm doesn't like 2bar map sensors too much amoung other things). Once I get that in and tuned it will be good to go. I do have an ancient link to a page I made ages ago when all I had was nitrous and bolt ons. I believe I did start to edit some tables with the new mods, but that's as far as I got before I decided to do an all new site. If you want I can send you the link to it, but don't laugh...I did it ages ago and had almost no computer programming skill at that time.

Follow this link to see the old pictuers of my car before and during some of the current project....My `96 Trans Am

I already got most of the riding gear covered. I already have a helmet(that matches the bike perfectly), a jacket and gloves. The only other thing I could use for days when I am feeling crazy would be a racing outfit/leathers....guess those will be next on my list You're right in that bike school is always a good idea for anyone and I will look into it now that I have a bike to use. One of our local small airports has an event evey month or so where they have courses to learn on, teachers...then some time trial type races(race against the clock). I never looked into it before, but that's all about to change now that I am part of the biker world also. Take care and thanks for the reply. Later!

Justin

Old 06-22-2005, 09:02 PM

NeonspeedRT,

Oops forgot to answer your other 2 questions. The bike was repainted becuase it was down by the first owner. It was fixed by the first owners local Honda dealer and all it needed fixed was the front fairings. The guy I purchased it from was the 2nd owner and he also purchased it the way you see it now. He used it as transportation to and from work and not as his weekend toy...he had a ZX 12R for when he was feeling crazy so he didn't do anything to this bike. Also the car made too much power to register on the local dyno that only reads to 800rwhp. This blower/engine setup at full boost is capable of making 1050 crank hp...then I have my little shot of juice . Time for me to eat dinner and do my evening things now so I probalby won't be back online till later. Take care.

Justin

Old 06-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the board. Sweet car dude -- ya just gotta love forced induction. I'm done with the ludicrous speed -- too much tinkering. As for the sensors reading pressure and goofing, I had those woes on my old turbo Busa. The solution was two valves inline to the IAP (intake air pressure) sensor. Of course that made the low RPM response suck so had to remap. By the time I sold it that bad boy was sweet. I love the CBR though -- just put in gas and ride What kind of solutions are you coming up with for the traction problems? A buddy at work has a sweeeeet Stang but can't hook up in 1st - 3rd. Tried 3 rear ends and slicks.

Old 06-23-2005, 12:26 AM

Chainstretcher,

Hi. Thanks for the compliment. BTW I like that screen name, very unique and intimidating. The car is always a work in progress. You're correct: Forced Induction Rules! It will only get better also as I will be ditching the s/c for a twin turbo setup about this time next year and will be adding a few more cubic inches as well in a search for 2000hp However I am far from that so I got to enjoy what I am working with for the time being since I can't even get it running right, LOL. Oh well at least Ill have a bike now to keep myself busy with in the meantime. I am going to make this little rice rocket as fast as I can, LOL. I seen a 929 head on ebay the other day for pretty cheap. I am thinking of buying one now and getting it ported so I can have it ready to swap over winter(along with all the other internals, but keep the same displacement) and see what these 929s can put out. I would like to see 165-170+rwhp N/A (ie no forced induction...think it's possible?). I guess Ill find out sooner or later if nobody else has yet. I understand your pain with the tuning. It can drive a person insane...especially on highly modifed forced induction vehicles. They are the worst! My solution to the traction problem will be quite simple. I am going to stuff the largest slicks under the car that I can fit on the 15" centerlines. I never wanted to hack it up too much before because I always used it as a street car, but plans have changed so I am now willing to cut the fenders and such to stuff some monsters under there. I have about every suspension and traction mod you can have and a Moser 12bolt rear (and installed a 10pt cage this winter which might help a bit) so I don't have much more room for improvement, LOL. Anyhow I am working on new site for everything and will post some much needed updated pictures, videos, slips and so on of the car(and the bike) as I find time to do it all.

BTW...tell your buddy not to feel too bad about his stang. I wish I could have his problem. The damn Trans Am will pretty much send you sideways into 5th on the street and on street tires. First, 2nd and 3rd...Don't even think about it. You either idle or you burn rubber That's one reason it's a track car now. It's a death trap on the street. Later!

Justin

Old 06-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TT beats s/c anyday That thing will be a beasty -- heck it's already a beast.[8D] You'll be pleasantly surprised by the 929's power output. Unless you're another Matt Mladdin it'll have plenty of go. Never hurts to have another head all ported and polished though. Dare I say "maybe even shaved a hair"? A little 60 shot of NOS and perhaps water injection. You'd be pushing 200hp easy. I haven't seen a turbo kit for the 929 but I imagine there's gotta be a setup somewhere. Just be warned -- with over 300HP at the wheel my old ride would wheelie in 4th with barely a flick of the wrist. When I say wheelie I mean straight-up-scare-the-living-crap-outtaya at over 150mph wheelie -- not a skim the front tire 2" off the ground deal.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:15 PM

Chainstretcher,

Hi again. :0 300+rwhp on a bike...Damn, you really are a chain stretcher, HaHa. :bows down: Yeah TT is certainly the way to go and I will be there soon enough. I went with a blower this first major buildup because it was always a childhood dream of mine to have a Blown and Stroked Fbody(but back then my dream was with a 3rd gen fbody since I was having that dream in the 80s, not a 4th gen). However I have since been to the track and seen a guy with a TT 427(not LT1 based) stuffed into his 97 Trans Am...so that instantly became the plans for my next buildup. I am no Matt, but I do love straight line speed more then anything else and will always give it priority no matter what the vehicle. So I am one of those guys that will probably never use the bikes handling to it's limits(grew up not being used to handling well anyhow due to all the Fbody cars I have owned, HeHe), but I will use every ounce of power I can on the straights. I have seen lots of videos of some of the turbo bikes and I must say...most of them(except the turbo 600s) scare the hell out of me just watching the videos, LOL. I really don't have plans for a turbo bike, so Ill save the forced induction stuff for the car where I am at least caged in and attempt to make as much N/A hp as I can with the bike(and then maybe add a bottle since that's always an easy install/and easy hp to use at the track). Well that's about it for this chapter. Guess Ill talk to you all later and will be sure to keep in touch with this board. Thanks to all that have welcomed me. Later!

Justin

Quick Reply: New CBR Forum member here