New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

My CBR600F4 and my other motorsickles

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2024, 04:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My CBR600F4 and my other motorsickles

Hi there.
I got this '99 a week and a half ago. It's done 64k kms. I won it at an auction for damaged motorbikes. It has a badly cracked rear rim (I have a replacement), the key is broken in the ignition (it's with the locksmith now) and it has a few other things I need to get/fix.
Here in New Zealand if a motorbike is written off it's a nightmare to get them registered again but doable. I've done three in the past two years.

I have this '07 VFR800 I got about 7 weeks ago. I'm redoing the bodywork as it's pretty rough. I'm spraying it silver as I had some left over metalic silver and they came out in that colour. I've got some replacement decals in red. It only has 48k kms.
It's a good bike but needs a new front tyre, the fork seals done and the registration had lapsed so I need to go through that process.

This is my 2015 GSX650. It was damaged when I got it so I've got and mostly fitted a new Chinese body kit. I had a car painter friend take the dent out of the tank and respray it. It'd only done 23k kms. I'm going to sell it.

This was my SV650 I had for about a year and sold in July. It's an excellent bike but as I'm tall with long limbs it was a bit small for me and longer rides were hard on my shoulders, neck, knees etc. The V twin power, the handling, light weight and fuel economy were great though. I also made a bit of $ on it.

One of my other GSX650Fs. I bought this at auction. It was stolen / recovered and painted black. It also wouldn't start. My mechanic got it going easily enough but we found it had 98k kms which was too much for me so it had to go. I refinished the body work, replaced the clip ons with these flat bars (which is what it should have) etc and sold it on for a profit.

My first GSX65OF. I took a risk buying this at auction in another city and having it transported up NZ to have checked out etc. It was written off mainly because the front wheel was damaged and they thought there may have been a fault with the forks and/or frame - they were fine. I got it back on the road, used it and sold it for a profit.

My first SV650N. It was written off but didn't take much to get back on the road (apart from $). It sounded better than the S above with the Leo Vince muffler. I made a little bit of $ but the learning curve of getting bikes back on the road was more important.

My '83 SR500. I bought this in '96. It wasn't road legal though I rode it on the road a little. I always wanted one from when I rode one when I was 21. I pulled it apart some years ago and had the frame sandblasted etc. Last year I had a binge on it and made good progress with a little help from my motorbike mechanic / customer / friend (who's into old bikes). It's done 43k kms (next to nothing since '96!) NZ had cheap rego for bikes 40 years old or older so it'll be cheaper to register yearly. It's my forever bike :-)

Old 09-16-2024, 12:15 AM

Good news - I rang up the locksmiths on Saturday and they had taken the ignition apart, removed the remains of the key and cut two new keys. They had lost the sticky note with my details on me so hadn't rung.
I went and got the lock / keys today (expensive but they did me a good deal and it had to be done) and with the right tools I fitted them.
The ignition and steering lock work well.
The lock for the seat isn't so great - it unlocks fine but the cable is really stiff to allow it to spring back and lock but banging the seat helps and it stays locked down now.
I've been in touch with the VIN guy and I can buy / fit a rack for the back instead of having to get a replacement grab rail. Yay.
I took the front mudguard off on Saturday - it's more broken than I thought so I need a replacement.
I might put my fake plate on later in the week and take it for a ride ;-)

Old 09-16-2024, 12:18 AM

Here is the damaged rim ;-(
I had the tyre changed over last week and refitted the wheel - the first I've done. It was safe enough with my car jack under it.

The following users liked this post:
Al1040 (09-17-2024)