New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

I'm ryan

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm ryan

Hi. I just turned 16 and would like to get into biking. I have always had an interest in them since I was very young. I wil be getting both my permits this week and have a couple questions on how to get started. My favorite most desired bike is the CBR 600rr,newer with underseat pipe. I was wondering how cheap one may find one in good condition, or if there are any financing options on a new one, say an 09 in green. Also, I plan on taking a safety course. Wondering if you would recomend this. Thanx =)

Last edited by Newbie24; 03-30-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hey Ryan ~ welcome to the forum. My suggestion to you, and it's not what you're going to want to hear. First of all learn how to drive. I know you've learned how to operate a car, but that in itself does not equate to the experience necessary to safely and effectively manage a motor vehicle in real life conditions. In a cage (car) you have excellent protection and you don’t have to concern yourself with the various other functions required to ride a two wheeler, leaving your senses available to focus on just driving. Once you have begun (I say that because driving is an ever learning process) to develop confidence behind the wheel, then perhaps consider an alternate mode of transport (bikes). I’m hoping that you have responsible adults who you feel comfortable enough with to discuss this. Motor vehicle accidents are the number one killer of teenagers in the US, and that's mainly car collisions.
That being said, if you’re anything like my sixteen yr. old, it’ll go in one ear and out the other. Financially speaking, aside from the cost of the bike, insurance rates are going to be astronomical for a male your age; something to consider. In other countries, where driving is actually considered a privilege, you have to work at obtaining a motorcycle endorsement which will allow you to operate a large displacement bike. You’ll ride a 125cc for a while, then a 250cc and so on, until eventually graduating to faster bikes. By that time, through experience and instruction, you've now achieved a very capable level of riding. If you’re really determined to get on one, take the MSF first, and consider getting a Ninja 250cc or similar. A lot of folks who start on these claim to have developed better riding skills, faster. Even though it can still kill, maim, and/or paralyze you, you’ll have to work a little harder at accomplishing it. That, and it’ll be more affordable, way more.
But anyways, that’s my two cents; take it for what it’s worth. Stick around, there’s lots of information in this forum; stay safe

Last edited by Incognito; 03-30-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanx for the info. I do plan to learn and develop my driving skills on four wheels first. I am a responsible kid, not the type to pull the crap most 16 year olds would with a bike. I was looking to get one this summer, after I feel comfortable on the road and maybe take a learning course. Financial, just for kicks, how much would we be talking for insurance on a 600rr?. The reason being it will most likely be paid for mostly by me eventually. Therefore, I want to get the bike that I want so I'm not looking again in a year after I become bored with a 250. I appreciate your help.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Insurance by yourself, your probably looking at about $5000-$8000 a year FOR INSURANCE..if you get a new bike you have to have full coverage til you pay it off.

I recommend getting an older bike..like an F3. I'm 20, i started out on an 81 yamaha cruiser when i just turned 17, then got my f3, wrecked it when was 18, rebuilt it, rode it for a year, then last December i bought a 2002 f4i. I don't think ill be getting anything newer until im out of college and can afford it. What makes everything possible for me is that i am under my fathers insurance. I wouldn't be able to afford any insurance if i had it in my name...insurance on my bike..not even full coverage would be probably upward of $4000 a year.(i only paid $4600 for the bike!!!!!!)..crazy i know..

welcome to the boards btw!!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:37 PM

I got a 100 on my bike permit test. I plan to take the MSF course this summer, or until after I feel my driving skills have been sharpened enough. I do have a couple questions. My parents do not want me to get my actual driving license for a while cause they would rather save on insurance. Will I be able to take the msf course with just a drivers and bike permit? My second question is the insurance rates on used bikes. Are these significantly cheaper than insurance on new? If my parents were to buy me a used cbr 07 600 and I were to pay them back over time would the rates drop drastically as opposed to a new one? Basically, can i get insurance on anything decent under a thousand or am I off in fairy tale land? thanx