New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

i'm a noob without a bike!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i'm a noob without a bike!

Hey everyone, I'm from Saskatchewan Canada and am just getting into sportbikes. I've been riding motocross bikes and enduro's (as I'm a farm kid) my whole life and now that i've moved to the city for university, It's time to change things up!

Eventually, I plan to purchase about a 98-04 cbr (less than $3500). Probably a 600 but maybe even a fireblade 900. But first, I will buy a smaller bike like a cbr 125 or similar for a few months. Not only so I dont kill myself but so I can better understand the dynamics of sportbike riding, and dont get scared of the power of a larger bike.

If anybody has any bike suggstions (big or little) it would be greatly appreciated!

See you on the threads!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm .. a newbie and no bike, I say we ban him ..lol j/k

Welcome to the forums, sorry I can be such a ferocious kitteh ;-)

Many disagree but there are 600s and there are 600s, some say they are too much but I say ride an original 600F2 or something then try a new 600RR, the difference will blow you away or it should if you are clinically sane ;-)

Any F2/F3 should be nice as they are total ***** cats out of the power band, a new RR though is pretty strong even at low revs so takes time to adjust ... whatever you decide the throttle goes both ways ... it's your call whatever anyone says here ...

just take care, let us all know what you gey and have fun and be safe!! :-)

Jules

Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 PM

WAIT!!WE CAN DO THAT?,,FOR PETES SAKE,,YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MOOLA I COULD HAVE SAVED IF I KNEW I DIDNT NEED A SCOOTER TO JOIN???HMMMM,,j/k,,,welcome brother, glad your here.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm near Saskatoon, there aren't many older CBRs for sale in SK especially at decent prices -- it seems like mostly gixxers here. CBR 125s are very rare as well, not many people are interested since there's no CC limit for learners here (yet -- new licensing rules come into effect next year).

My gf will be selling her ZZR 250 soon, it's a fantastic little bike but almost all of our commuting is done on the highway and we don't want to subject it to constant 9000+ rpm high load use. If we lived in the city we'd be keeping it. It's a blast to ride and costs next to nothing to license. It's been my daily driver since I retired my F1 for a complete rebirth over the winter.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have the perfect plan and chain of thought. Start small n work your way up. As Classic stated, its all in how you control the bike as a rider, but if you get spooked and panic and twist the throttle too much a 600 can n will let you know about it. On a smaller bike you can get all the kinks worked out while learning n have much better control when you move up to a 600 or whatever.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:25 AM

[quote=
Many disagree but there are 600s and there are 600s, some say they are too much but I say ride an original 600F2 or something then try a new 600RR, the difference will blow you away or it should if you are clinically sane ;-)[/quote]

I see, what's the primary difference in these bikes? I just assumed newld but apparently there's a power difference too??

[quote= I'm near Saskatoon, there aren't many older CBRs for sale in SK especially at decent prices [/quote]

YES! There's practically nothing out there but check this; http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...AdIdZ151831457 what'dya think? I know it's a 900 but ultimately I wouldnt say no to one of those. Is there a giagantic (for those that have ridden them) difference in power, weight and handling between the 600's and a 900 fireblade?

I would like to thank you guys for all your hospitality and I look forward to posting!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 AM

I'd say it's worth checking out if it's still available. I think you can skip the small beginner bike step since you're already an experienced dirtbike rider. I was the same way, I put in hundreds if not thousands of hours on dirtbikes when I was a kid but had never had a streetbike until a few months ago. The basic skills are the same. Just take it easy until you're familiar with your new ride.

And never, ever, EVER stop scanning every square millimeter of road surface for debris. You know what SK roads are like, a patch of pea gravel in a corner doesn't care what kind of bike you're on You will also become intimately familiar with all the badly sealed longitudinal cracks in your local roads. You probably never noticed them in the car . . .

Old 09-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Think I could skip it? I've heard sooo many people telling people in my demographic (18 year olds with only dirt bike experience) not to go with a bigger bike. I honestly think I'd do just fine with a 600 but I'm kinda just basing on what people have told me...

Yes I know saskatechwan roads... too well. I grew up driving on highway 20 and 386 all the time (you'd know them if you've ever been on them) and I fully understand about the gravel thing. How do bikes like these take gravel? I unfortunately would have to ride on about 3 miles of gravel to get to my hometown and i'm just wondering how they manage.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:22 PM

Even a big bike will only go as fast as you make it go. Only you can judge whether or not you're capable of using one in a nonretarded manner. There's no shortage of long, straight deserted roads around here to get familiar with a bike before you go out in city traffic. Do what I did, find an experienced rider who will take you out a few times so you can follow and do what they do.

I live a mile from the nearest pavement. A streetbike on gravel handles just like a dirtbike on gravel. A really, really heavy dirtbike. With bald tires

Stick to the crown or wheel tracks, watch your speed and you're fine. If you get sucked into soft gravel at the shoulder you're in trouble. Some days I do 40kph on the gravel, some days I do 80, depending on the condition of the road at the time.

Quick Reply: i'm a noob without a bike!