New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

I are n00b

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I are n00b

Hey there. I am going to be picking up a 93 CBR600 early next year from a buddy once I get the cash together so I signed up to learn what I can. I haven't ridden before and I don't know too much about bikes (although I have modified several cars and currently drive a 2006 Mazdaspeed6). Been itching to get a bike for a while now and it looks like I finally can do it!

I know that I will be looking to replace the plastics... they aren't totally obliterated but they will probably need replacing soon. Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 AM

I have ridden on 4wheeleres and snow mobiles a handful of times but nothing with just two wheels. So it will be pretty new to me.

Yeah the MSF course is on the list for sure. I figure it is a good idea to have a class and I have to take a test anyway so I might as well get some actual instruction first.

Hit most of the rule threads before I posted and I did read most of the first page of that thread on counter steering. Going to have to re-read it though when I am not so tired and have time to check out the videos.

Really looking forward to next spring now...

Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CBRF crashTECH,glad to have you here.
Plenty of helpful people & info here on the site so any ?s post 'em up

Old 07-28-2009, 06:51 AM

Will do! Got my first set of questions posted!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 AM

welcome. youtube has a gang of information on counter-steering, stop-and-gos, cornering, etc. spend a little time going through some videos and that will give you some knowledge to work with. find a spot to practice, practice, practice. when you take it out on the road, be AWARE, bro. people do some dumb things out there. as far as the plastics go, i picked up a 2001 cbr f4i with some real rough plastics....and thanks to the information on this site (you can find EVERYTHING here), i am in the middle of the painting process and they are looking real clean now.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 AM

That is what I am most worried about, is other people. I have seen some really messed up stuff that people do on the road. I am less worried about me doing something stupid. I have no plans to pull any stunts or pop wheelies or whatever. I just wanna ride!

I found a set that looks pretty sweet for around $900 for the set. Seems to be a decent price considering that they aren't ebay OEM replacements. Still shopping around. I won't be replacing them in the short term after getting the bike anyway. I'd like to have the MSF out of the way etc before I do that.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:23 AM

So I figured I would bump this rather than post another one. I have taken "possession" of the bike, although it won't legally be mine till next year. I know the last two owners but I assume it was bought used by the first guy (I actually almost bought it from him a few years ago but he sold it to another friend instead, whom I am now buying it from). It has been down once (obviously) but it was put back together really well and has been solid. Carbs have been trouble free as well. I think it has around 30k miles on it and I am getting it for $1500.

Currently it is at my Mom's house but I am looking to get it out to my apartment in the next few weeks.

Any suggestions for projects over the winter? The battery is a little low on charge so I will be charging it and disconnecting it for the winter.

Just need to pick out my gear now.

Attached Thumbnails I are n00b-photoodo.jpg  
Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 AM

Have you taken at least a test ride on it?

Anyway, take the MSF course, and after you get your Class M license ride like everyone is out to kill you. Don't be paranoid, just aware.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:59 AM

No I haven't. I know it is solid though and if there are any issues either of my buddies will help me set it straight. I might try to when I go pick it up though.

Definitely. MSF is on the list. My wife plans on taking it with me so that will be good. I will feel better about riding after the class is over.

Quick Reply: I are n00b