New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Howdy from Louisiana, and my first bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Howdy from Louisiana, and my first bike!

Here's my story - growing up, dad didn't mind atv's but had a firm rule about no motorcycles. Probably why I wanted one even more as a kid.

Growing up when I finally realized I was an impatient and compulsive teen when it came to driving fast and taking chances, it was probably better off that I kept 4 wheels under me other than BMX or mountain bikes.

Fast forward to my mid 30's and I've realized I now trust myself enough to finally get something to enjoy riding.

A buddy loaned me his Yamaha FZ1 last year to figure out how to roll down the road and pass my MC endorsement test with. Yeah a literbike as a loaner newbie-intro ride. I wasn't sure it was a good idea either combined with I skipped taking a MSF course, although I do agree it is a very good idea, and I probably should go take it anyway. Anyway - he wouldn't come get the bike back and told me to ride it to keep the carbs blown out - he was passively trying to sell it and wanted it ready to run whenever someone wanted to look at it. I also could meet people to look at it during the days, where his job wouldn't allow for it. I put a new batt in it and kept it washed as my part of the deal. He didn't realize I had put about 1500 miles on it over the winter months though, and he finally came and grabbed it back a few weeks ago.

That got me scouring craigslist and fleabay for a beater/project bike in a sub 1K pricerange just to get a bike back under me. Couple of prospects came and went - I'm amazed at the number of people who can't produce clean title to the bikes they're trying to sell. then 3 days ago a guy threw up an absurdly high price on a 1992 CBR600 F2. I talked him down to something reasonable in the range I could spend. So - yesterday I drove 4 hours and brought back my first-ever motorcycle purchase.

Unfortunately that's her good side. Had been laid down at low speed on the right side, so I've gotta read up on ABS fairing repair. Factory paint on the left side is pretty good, and the tank didn't take a hit in the laydown. bike has 29K on the clock, the cam chain has the dreaded diesel-sound, and the tires are terrible - I was told "pretty worn" - rear tire is flat-topped (burnouts possibly) and the front looks like someone's well-used track day tire - completely high peaked. def replace before riding condition. Windscreen is cracked, and half of it blew off on the trailer ride home, mirrors are missing, and front brake lever is broken.

Otherwise, mechanically everything feels fine - I ran her through the gears on a long straight rural road, up and cown, clutched and clutchless, shifts are smooth and crisp. Clutch shows no signs of slipping. Fires up from cold with no smoke. Has a V&H SS slip-on that is loud enough to raise the dead - I'm thinking it might be gutted - while some appreciate that, I'll have to repack it.

biggest drawback to owning this bike in Louisiana?

I'm not a LSU fan , and I already cringe at the thought of how many times people are going to make a comment about the bike and the school.

I think a personalized plate along the lines of a "FAWKLSU" might be in order.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems tough to find one of these bikes used that hasn't been down at least once. i guess it is the nature of the beast.
what part of La. are you? i have relatives in Lk. Charles.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:28 PM

Monroe area.

Yeah - I'll get it all buttoned up and presentable. Gotta remember to document the cleanup and repairs. I suck at remembering to take pics in the middle of working on stuff.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Haha sounds lIke me about a month ago... Picked up a 91 f2 for $700 in GREAT shape. My advice, invest in a lightweight textile jacket cause it's HOT down here

Old 05-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the CBRF, man! Nice intro.
Nice bike, too..... well at least from this side.
Enjoy the forum and Ride Safe.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey & welcome to CBRF!
The F2 is a pretty solid bike,wont find too much wrong with them.
Be sure to visit the F2 forum is you have any ?s while rebuilding your new bike,lots of helpful guys over there to give you a hand.
Good luck on the rebuild and keep us posted with plenty of pics!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 PM

nice looking bike, don't think people will think its related to LSU. You could always just paint or buy blue rear fairings.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by cbrf3monkey
nice looking bike, don't think people will think its related to LSU. You could always just paint or buy blue rear fairings.
The pic may make it look bluish - but in natural light it's a normal metallic purple.

Waiting for some parts to come in so I can start assessing what direction to head first.