New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Hi everyone, going to be restoring a neglected 954!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi everyone, going to be restoring a neglected 954!

Will be restoring my neglected 954 and sharing the journey on here for those interested.
So I went overseas in 2015 to live with my partner in Canada, I left behind my beloved CBR954rr 02 in mint condition. The bike was dyno tuned, had full racetech suspension and was running like a boss. I prepped the bike for a long rest and left. During my time away my parents got divorced and moved out and much to my horror when I returned my bike was left under a new house without its cover slightly exposed to the elements, it has possums nesting inside the seat and as a whole in really bad shape, surface rust and **** everywhere. Some crackheads stole the plates seat, power commander and battery too. I have finally got the bike dropped at a place where I can work on it and I want to take the time to rebuild her back to her former glory. Ive had the bike for over 10 years and I love it, so seeing it like this is heart breaking.

I started working on it today, a lot of fuel had evaporated and the entire inside of the take was black sludge so I bought a KBC sealer kit and in the processes of doing that now.

Can I ask what are some really important steps I should take to get it started first and do you think the bike is fixable, what parts should I replace?

I changed the oil and filter, the oil looked good at least. The radiator was missing the cap (crackheads) so its been dry for god knows how long too.

Really hope I can get my girl going again, will share pics and story of the journey. Here are some pics of the current condition and what it used to look like.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help for this big project!

Old 08-09-2020, 06:28 AM
Welcome crew
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

First, welcome to the forum! Second, that sucks!

I'd start off draining all the old fluids, including whatever might be left in the radiator/cooling lines, and replacing with fresh. Pulling the tank, air filter, throttle bodies, fuel pressure regulator, etc., checking all the hoses for cracks, the electrical lines for rusted/chewed areas, and just a good old fashioned cleaning.

Old 08-15-2020, 04:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A worthy project. Good luck.