New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

help me pick out bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help me pick out bike

copy of a article with good info:
Form Equals Function: Sportbikes are Not Beginner Bikes

Introduction

Well, another riding season is upon us and as it always happens, we get lots of inquiries from potential new riders on how to get into the sport, what's a good first ride, where to take safety classes and so on. One particular type of inquiry that pops up with almost clockwork frequency is from a small number of new riders who wish to buy 600cc and up sportbikes as their first ride.

For the past year and a half, I, along with lots of other BB forum members, have entertained this question of 600cc sportbikes for a first ride with patience and lots and lots of repetition. It seems this small group of newbies keep coming back with the same arguments and questions over and over again. As a result, I am going to take the time in this column to try and put into words, answers that get repeated over and over on the BB forums.

Allow me to state first and foremost that I am a sport rider. My first bike was a Ninja 250R and I put nearly 7000 miles on it in two seasons before selling it. I am presently shopping for my next ride and it will almost certainly be a sportbike or sport tourer in the 600-1000cc range. I am also building a track bike in my garage which I hope to complete this season (a Yamaha FZR600). Although I am not an expert rider by any stretch, I have tinkered enough and done enough research along with talking with other riders to be able to speak with some degree of knowledge on the subject.

This column is split into two parts. First, I would like to address the common arguments we see here as to why a 600cc sportbike simply must be a first ride along with rebuttals. Second, I want to cover the rationale behind why the BB community-at-large steers new riders away from these machines.

False Logic

On about a three month interval, a whole slew of questions pop up on the BB forum from potential riders trying to convince the community that a 600cc sportbike is a suitable first ride and then proceed to explain to us why they are the exception. I can almost set my clock to this pattern of behavior since it is almost swarm-like. I guess the newbies figure by swamping the forum with the same questions in lots of places we might trip up and endorse such a machine. Hasn't happened yet but they keep on trying.

For those of you that come to Beginner Bikes trying to convince us to endorse a 600cc sportbike, I offer you the following responses to your arguments.
I can only afford to get one bike so it might as be the one that I want.

I don't want to go through the hassle of buying and selling a used bike to learn on.

These two lines of reasoning pop up as one of the more common arguments. I am going to offer first a piece of wisdom which is stated with great regularity on the forums:

This is your first bike, not your last.

Motorcycle riders are reputed to change bikes, on average, once every two to three years. If this is the case (and it appears to be based on my observations), the bike you learn to ride on will not be in your garage in a few years time anyway whether you buy it new or used. You're going to sell it regardless to get something different, newer, more powerful, more comfortable, etc.

Yes, buying a bike involves effort and a financial outlay. Most of us simply cannot afford to drop thousands of dollars on a whim every time we want to try something new. Getting into riding is a serious commitment in time and money and we want the best value out it as much as possible.

However, if you can afford to buy outright or finance a 600cc or up sportbike that costs $7000 on average, you can probably afford to spend $2000 or so on a used bike to learn on. Most of the beginner sportbikes we recommend here (Ninja 250/500, Buell Blast, GS500) can all be found used for between $1500-$3000.

Done properly, buy

Old 02-06-2008, 10:50 PM

older bikes, my CBR1000F inot as powerfull as the newest 1000RR's bu still can keep up,
have to find the article about it again, older bikes means if you lay it or something else...its not a big deal a frienof mine bought a '88 600F hurricane and layed it going about 30 last week...layed it in mud though. he was fine the bike looked like bad due to the mud but it substained very little damage just a small peice of the left side came off. welcoem to the forums i hope you find yourself a good bike.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: tonyp79247

yea that would be a good idea but i can stand how older bikes feel
when i ride older bikes it feels like it doesnt have enough power
but when i get on a rr it feels like i can go alot faster then what im going even in high speeds
i like the fact that i still have more to work on

Hey man, Thats def nota good thing to say around here. Everyone here cares about new riders trust me Im still in the new rider phase but I started out on a Buell 500. Now Im riding a 600RR. No offense. But your really dont sound like your in the right mind set. If all your worried about is speed, then thats not good. Older bikes are perfect for you especially if you can find a good deal. Im not saying go buy a freakin antique bro. But you gota get some miles under your belt before you jump on one of these sportbikes. As far as not wanting a 600 because you will get bored? Trust me and everyone else. YOu will NOT get bored of a 600. Like Crash stated. Most people on the streets cant take there machines as far as they could in the first place.

Hope this helps and you make the right decision. In the end its all up to you bro as to what you want to do. Everyone here is just trying to look out for you.

BeSafe Friend.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 AM

ORIGINAL: crashkhanman

I would say 90% of all the people riding the 600rr on the street -'03 - '08 can't even ride thebikeat their capacity. With that being said... why would you need something faster? And I'm not even downing those riders (I'm one of them), its not safe too on the street. Take no offense to this... I don't see the maturity coming through in your posts yet. Wait a little bit, save some on insurance, save up and then go for one of those bikes sixhundredrr recommended. You could have the fastest bike out there in the world... but it doesn't make a bit of difference if you don't know how to ride it probably and safely.

Forget wheelie's, endo's(stoppies), 100+ mphs ... Focus on technique.

There has been a couple times where I've been going 10 - 20mphs over the speed limit just in my own lane and pass an officer and he doesn't even move. Why? ... probably because I'm not weaving in and out of traffic and fully geared down with my leathers not acting like a retard. People respect the riders that have a brain on their shoulders, not the one's with egos.

Take the MSF course first and get a feeling for how suprisely powerful those smaller bikes can be and learn a few things.

Goodluck and I hope everything works out tonyp!

think think fully gear is better, no i know its better. i reather be safe then sorry. anyways i think it looks cool, looks like your pro

i been in 4 car crashes(i wasnt driving) 2 incuding flips, all from street racing, but i love speed so cant help it.

p.s. sorry fo slow reply

Old 02-08-2008, 02:21 AM

ORIGINAL: zleek0

heeey! well i just bought myself a cbr600...im 22, 5'6 120lbs...im getting mine lowered, its in the shop right now..you might need to do that if you want...i rather have my feet planted on the ground, i feel more safer and i feel as if i can balance it better. everyone said the same thing to me, its too much power. i feel that im finewith it. now mind you i just started riding so i havent really tested the bike out.

get what you feel is best. i would get the 600, i personally wouldnt get the 250. in a few months you would want something better.

im taking the msf course most likely this weekend...take it too, theyll definately help you out with your decision. talk to a pro. good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/23690/17A6290BD2BC4270BB91FF5B640C144E.jpg[/IMG]
yea it makes me feel hell of alot smaller
like when i ride the r6 it feels like im gonna fall on one side when i come to a stop
that and slider were going to be the first thing i put on, do i have to buy new suspension links or can i lower the stock links

Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Remember kiddies... lowering a bike seriously begins to affect the way your bike handles in turns. Do it at your own risk.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

You need to see feel what is most comfy for you!

Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 AM

ORIGINAL: pitsvtec

Hello & Welcome!!

You need to see feel what is most comfy for you!
yea i learned how to ride on a lowered

Old 02-13-2008, 02:45 PM

To be honest, I was seriously looking hard for a 750 and fell in love when i found my girl. To be honest, as a beginner rider, I would start with the F4i for a couple of grand, then when you get good and experienced, work your way up to a larger bike. I'm only 120 lbs and haven't hit the full potential of my bike. Did break a 100 thought last weekend..

Old 02-13-2008, 04:55 PM

good luck on your choice man. my 600rr is my first bike and i love it. im also 22 and 185 pounds. pick what is right for you and what you can afford but please, dont make my insurance go up or i will get pissed. just take the msf course and ride safe. the thing that scares me is that you keep talking about speed. the rr has alot of it and well, it has too much of it. just watch your wrist. good luck