New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

help with decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation help with decision

im thinking of buying a 98 cbr f3 with 24508 miles on it. it was salvaged by honda from the first owner who was hit. so it has a full set of new black fairings and was fully serviced. its my first bike and ill be using it to go to school and work mostly, when weather permits, maybe even a few trips. What do you guys think? are they robbing me? is it fair? or is it a steal? for pictures go to http://www.hondaoflafayette.com/pre_...R0&veh=1712727

Last edited by themachinerage; 06-17-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: OOPS! for people who dont look at the link, they want $2500 for it
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 AM

its $2500, my uncle test rode it in the parking lot and it runs just need to run some cleaner in the engine from it sitting for so long. gears work fine

Old 06-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not too shabby but not too cheap either for a 12 year old salvage titled bike !
Personally I'd put it around the < $2k mark. more like 15 to 17 hundred $ and
only because it looks so clean. JMO

2500 would get you other non salvaged bikes easily enough!

Welcome to the Forum

Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 AM

any suggestions on what to look for? i believe the price is that way because they had to replace all those fairings and tank and buy the bike and still make a profit. as a business i dont think theyd go down. but i cant really find a privately sold one around here, other than a 900 which i think is a bit much for me as a beginner

Old 06-17-2010, 12:11 PM

went back and asked more questions and this bike actually has a yoshimura full exhaust also, and dynotuned to it.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:07 PM

I'd still probably try to talk them down. Like Sprock said its a 12 year old salvage title bike. It does look pretty sharp and good be sound, but maybe try 2k if you really like it.

Anyways good luck! keep us posted.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:30 PM

k thanks for the advice. im in pretty desperate.......want(lol) of a bike...and this bike has caught my eye on several occasions while looking for one, and all the other options around here are selling before i can even ask about details on craigslist. and i checked insurance and i can be covered (18 year old, recent speeding ticket, msf certified) for $120/per6months so im shooting to get it monday. put a deposit on it today so they cant sell it while i do last minute shopping, but she seems like the one =]. now i just need to find a good padded jacket that ill be seen in, even at night(reflector strips). have a helmet, gloves, jeans, stealtoe boots already. but any suggestions as far as cheap good quality brands that include detachable waterproof inside lining and all that jazz? Also, are these bikes known to run hotter in lower gear or lower speeds? or am i just gonna have to make sure they put some good coolant in the radiator? cause when my uncle test rode it, the temp gauge stayed right under red.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 PM

For that price, I'd ask if they'd toss in a 1 year warrantee.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 PM

haha cool i didnt know dealers could do that. ill try for it =]

Old 06-17-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by themachinerage
haha cool i didnt know dealers could do that. ill try for it =]
They're a dealer. You should be able to negotiate some type of limited warrantee from their shop. Or ask them to certify some parts are in good working order (tranny, clutch, engine).

Try and get some type of lemon protection

Quick Reply: help with decision