New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

hello all, i'm pretty much new to bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink hello all, i'm pretty much new to bikes

hows it goin guys. i'm completely new to bikes, but not to motors and whatnot. right now i drive a vr4, here's uh pic to put a car to the name
Name:  138yvp.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  81.4 KB

i'm looking at getting a cbr, but honestly i'm opened to any and all suggestions.. i'm thinking that for my first bike, that a 600 would be okay.i'm a super cautious driver so i won't push my luck before i'm ready

and if the bikes fall through that i'm currently looking at, (which is VERY likely, i'll still be looking. i would like something that has been laid down however many times, but runs ultimately very well

thanks guys!!

_isiah

Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice GT, shmoo! Very cool cars.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck on finding a good CBR600 to fit your needs.
If I were you, I wouldn't get something too beat up. You don't want to waste time or money on a bike that may be a hazard (or a bitch to fix) when a nice older CBR isn't that expensive anyway. A light driveway drop is ok if you don't care about a few scratches, but I'd steer clear of a rashed up one. They can be too much trouble.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Banned

thanks man!

the bikes that i'm looking at need carb work from what the guy said... is that a reasonable fix for someone like me to do. on the vr4 the most extensive things i've done are clutch change and upgrading the stock twin turbos

_isiah

thanks again

Old 08-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shmoo
thanks man!

the bikes that i'm looking at need carb work from what the guy said... is that a reasonable fix for someone like me to do. on the vr4 the most extensive things i've done are clutch change and upgrading the stock twin turbos

_isiah

thanks again
Doing the carbs on a bike will have you cussing and searching for a super-mechanically inclined 5 yro whose small hands can fit into the bike... but that's the hardest part: small, tight spaces. Otherwise it's straightforward and very easy to do. Pretty much applies to everything on the bike.

Good example: 2h 15m to change the plugs on my bike the first time.
2h spent trying to figure out how to get the socket in there to access each plug and pull them out.
15 minutes spent putting the new ones in and tightening everything up after having learned the best way to get to each plug.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Banned

^^gotcha thanks uh lot!!!

but, basically if i'm going to get into bikes, i'm gonna have to figure out how to get into those little spaces...
basically the idea is that one bike won't run because it had a rod go through the block, and the other doesn't run well because of this bad carb

and, how much do you all think i'd be able to get out of a 97 600cc f3 if i were to part it out. the issue with this bike is it had a rod go through the block (from what the description says)

thanks

_isiah

Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Welcome and nice car. If the rod went through the block forget it. Who knows what else he did to that bike.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Banned

thanks for the welcome man!

and thanks for the advise, everyone i've spoken to about the bikes has advised me the same

_isiah