New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Great White North

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nekronaut
Demon, despite not being a fan of yellow that is one nice lookin' bike man!
Thanks! It has some pretty special stuff on the inside, it has a ton of power. Quite the sleeper...Back when i built it, and used to ride it, the yellow stood out in a sea of black Harleys at any gathering. I've been considering tearing it down and doing some things to it, like painting it another color. Satin black has crossed my mind. We'll see.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djhowiec
Glad you took it as a joke, I was listening to Slacker Radio and the Take Off song came up on the Comedy Channel as I was reading your post. Talk about timing.
Ha, there's a take off song!? I would like to think most Canadians would take such in jest, just look at the "Blame Canada" song - which was pretty damn funny if you ask me. Edit: Just found the song on YT, of course it has Geddy Lee on it lol.

I've lived in a couple different states and, travelled across most of the US so, I'm pretty accustomed to it.

Originally Posted by 74demon
Thanks! It has some pretty special stuff on the inside, it has a ton of power. Quite the sleeper...Back when i built it, and used to ride it, the yellow stood out in a sea of black Harleys at any gathering. I've been considering tearing it down and doing some things to it, like painting it another color. Satin black has crossed my mind. We'll see.
Hm, good point on the colour comment. Most of the Harley's I rode with when I had the Shadow were Softail Heritage's, seems like every one goes for them.
What engine do you have in that, an Evo? I also meant to ask, is that a true two sided tank?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum from a fellow BCer. Where you at? Know what you mean about the weather, it's terrible. I've been out a few times this year none the less. No sense, no feeling. Right?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM

100 cid EVO w' dual plug hemi heads and a cam that is ridiculously big. So big, I had to machine clearance in the case for the inside lobe and shave valve spring shims so the valve springs won't bind up.

It's a one piece tank.

Last edited by 74demon; 01-30-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 AM

Demon: That sounds pretty bad *** man, very cool. Perhaps I was not as specific as I should've been in regards to the tank, that or I am misinterpreting your definition of "piece". Does the entire tank hold fuel, either with divider in the middle so you don't get any unbalance from gas sloshing back and forth or does the entire tank fill up? I ask due to what looks like it having two gas caps.
I know in the old days they had the full size tanks but, the downside was all the gas moving around which could make the engine cut in and out so, they put a divider in the middle and added a second gas cap. While I'm not sure what Harley or other US companies do these days, I know the Metrics generally have the full size look but, in actuality only half of the tank holds gas.

Corrupt: I'm all the way out in Chilliwack man. Although I am trying to make visiting Van. Island a regular summer ride because, I have family that lives in Duncan.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM

It's a one piece tank that straddles the frame. It a has cross over hose under the tank so fuel levels a equalized.

I was digging through some old pics and found a few when it was a bare frame and going together. I'll put those up in my gallery soon. I'm bummed that I didn't think to document the build better. At that time digital photography was brand new and worthless, and film was a pain in the rear. After all, it was the mid 90's when I started building it...

Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM

That's what polaroid was for man

I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at what ever other photos you have of it, sounds like you've had the bike for a long while.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nekronaut
That's what polaroid was for man

I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at what ever other photos you have of it, sounds like you've had the bike for a long while.
Give me a day or two, I'll put them up.

I started collecting/making parts for it in 95. By the time I got it ready to get it registered and the highway patrol inspection it was late 2001. Had a slow time in the middle when I was making a boy instead...

EDIT: Pics are up now...

Last edited by 74demon; 01-31-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 AM

The engine does look a fair bit different between then and now in those photos man, good stuff. At least you didn't have to or, choose to give up riding when you had your son as, I see that so often with people abandoning their bikes once children come into play.

We got a lot of that on the Shadow forum, older fellas that use to ride but, stopped riding because they had kids and, are getting back into the lifestyle after 20 or so years of being out of the saddle. You have the best of both worlds though man, a cool custom Harley and, a sweet Fireblade.