New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank

I've just coated the tank (Eastman kit) on a friend's 600 (early model, 1987?) He brought two tanks over, one was just way too far gone (rusted through pinholes on the under side, etc.). On the salvageable tank, I noticed two outlet tubes under the tank, one comes from a weep hole around the filler neck, and the other? What's its purpose?
I don't think this is the original tank, gas cap doesn't fit very well which allowed water in.
With regards to the gas cap, the tank that looked salvageable, had a notch on the bottom of the filler neck, for the gas cap to fit into place, but this gas cap has a tab near the front which would need a notch at the top of the filler neck.

CBR 600 1987 or '88, I believe it said "Hurricane" on it at one point. (Usually don't work on anything past '80 Honda)

Old 01-24-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If it's like the CBR1000F then one tube is the overflow from the filler cap and should flow into a funnel under the tank, which in turn is attached to a long rubber tube to deposit any spilt fuel on the ground and not over the hot engine.

The other is a breather tube, this has some nice kinks in it, so when you coat the inside of your tank, it gets blocked and is impossible to unblock with a section of wire (thank's Mr Honda).

You might get lucky and it's not blocked. But if it is, one solution is to drill a very small hole in the tank recess next to the fuel filler cap.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016
If it's like the CBR1000F then one tube is the overflow from the filler cap and should flow into a funnel under the tank, which in turn is attached to a long rubber tube to deposit any spilt fuel on the ground and not over the hot engine.

The other is a breather tube, this has some nice kinks in it, so when you coat the inside of your tank, it gets blocked and is impossible to unblock with a section of wire (thank's Mr Honda).

You might get lucky and it's not blocked. But if it is, one solution is to drill a very small hole in the tank recess next to the fuel filler cap.

BTW welcome to the forum.